FAQ - Vive Hand Tracking SDK

TheWand3rer
Visitor

Re: FAQ - Vive Hand Tracking SDK

Hi,
I have been trying to use the Hand Tracking plugin for Unreal. I have created an empty C++ project and copied the plugin's Binaries and Plugin folders in the project's root folder.

However nothing happens after I rebuild the C++ project. The setup guide says that the assets should appear in the project view.
I can't even rebuild it while the editor is loaded, as it gives this error message.

Unable to clean target while hot-reloading. Close the editor and try again.

If I try and copy the plugin's content folder manually to the project's content folder and try to load the sample map, nothing happens and there are several errors in the output log.

This happens both with 4.21 and 4.22. Do you have any idea of what I'm doing wrong?
Keate
Visitor

Hi,I have known your question and try to help you out.
First,I do not recommend you to copy plugin content manually,because for different versions,it doesn't work at all.
For now,you have copied our plugin files into your project root file.
The steps below may help you a lot:
1.Right clicking YOURPROJECT.uproject,and generate Visual Studio file.In your project solution,I really suggest you to use UnrealVS(../../Engine/Extras/UnrealVS) for hot-reloading,which is provided by EpicGames.
2.Try to use VisualStudio to launch your project instead opening it directly.
3.In UE Editor->Content Browser->View Options,make sure you have checked "Show Plugin Content".
TomGoethals
Contributor

Hi There,

I'm trying to get hand tracking to work.

I've got a HTC Vice Pro with wireless adapter.

Developing in Unity.

I've set up the camera in settings and tested for a good signal (3 green checkmarks)

I can also see the feed when I enable the passthrough camera getting close to the boundary.

I'm getting "Start Detection Error: Camera" when i enable the Gesture Provider.

Has anybody tested with the Vive Wireless Adapter? Should it work?

Thanks,

Tom

Hi Tom,

We have tested the Wireless adapter before. Since you can see three green marks in SteamVR settings, our SDK should work. Please make sure:

1. You have enabled OpenVR in your XRSettings in your Unity project

2. OpenVR is loaded as current XR device. There should be messages in the Unity console indicating OpenVR initialized at the beginning of the play.

3. You have installed MSVC runtime redist 2015 x64, you can download it from Microsoft website.

I would alo suggest you to start SteamVR first, check green marks, and then start Unity.

Please let me know if this solves your problem or not.

Best Regards,

zzy

TomGoethals
Contributor

All 3 conditions where already met.

I've managed to get it to work briefly but the framerate, tracking and latency is really bad.

changing lighting conditions did not really help. After a few seconds it cuts out and then does not work anymore until I do a fresh reboot.

Over the Wireless Adapter the camera can't get more then 40 fps, i'm thinking this is the issue?

Currently, in what i've experienced so far, it's nowhere near what a leap motion is capable of.

Whishing you a lot of success and I hope to see it improve over time.

Kikuto
Contributor

Hello @zzy 

You forgot to answer the last question: Can I use HandSDK together with SRWorks in camera seethrough mode?

I read the public code in HandSDK but there's no mention to camera input, so this part is in dll function that opens the camera and does steps of hand track algorithm. However, SRWorks are using cameras images, and when I try open camera again with HandSDK, I got a runtime error. So if there a way to pass the image of the frame to GetGestureResult() function avoiding get images from the camera will be possible to use HandSDK + SRWorks.

So the point after GetGestureResult() accept the frame as input is what kind of image will be needed, left and right raw frame, after defish algorithm, or just one image.

Hi @Kikuto 

Are you using latest SRWorks SDK? There used to be conflicts between SRWorks and Hand tracking SDK, but it should be solved in newer SRWorks SDK.

@Dario I think you have tried to use both SDK together. Can you give some comments?

Best Regards,

Zhongyang

Kikuto
Contributor

@zzy  Yes, the latest version 0.8.0.2 for SRWorks and 0.8.0 for Hand Tracking SDK.

Great news! Hand tracking in See Through will be a significant improvement :)

In the path to use both, I had one problem with OpenCL error in Hand Tracking SDK for my GTX 1060 3gb, openCL just works in driver version 388.71, and I tried to put to work in newer versions, but no success. However, Depth map freezes in 388.71 driver version and just became functional in 390.77 driver version.

I searched a lot and tried many things to solve this openCL problem. GPU-Z also checks OpenCL and CUDA. Had someone experienced this kind of issues?

Hi @Kikuto 

Have you tried to install newer version of graphics drivers? I think the latest version of NVIDIA driver is 430.64.

You can also reference this answer for other possible solutions.

ForensicDJS
Contributor

Great Tool! I've tested it in my program and have it working though I am getting a really big hit on CPU usage (both with wireless and wired). I also just tested the sample file and even running that I get 100% CPU usage and degraded quality on the VIVE Pro headset. I am using an Intel Core i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.8 GHz, 16GB RAM and NVIDIA GeForce GTX1070. Is there any way I can improve performance? If not, I will not be able to integrate into my game. I have tried decreasing the front camera speed, but it always seems to revert to 40Hz, no matter what I do. @zzy 

Kikuto
Contributor

Hi @zzy ,

I'm using 430.64, but as you said was a problem with unity version.

Sorry, I didn't read that part in the plugin documentation. So I back to unity 2017.4.27f1 as in SRWorks project and everything works fine.

Thanks again for your tip.

Hi @ForensicDJS 

Thanks for the report. We just found the reason for high CPU usage is due to a wrong compiler flag. We are working on it and will release an updated dll next week.

MDV Games
Pioneer

Hi, @zzy 

What about Vive Hand Tracking plugin for Unreal Engine (for Vive Focus)? Not ready yet?

Highlighted

Hi @MDV Games

We are working on Unreal plugin for Focus. It should be ready in the next version (target is early June).

Best Regards,

zzy

ForensicDJS
Contributor

@zzy wrote:

Hi @ForensicDJS 

Thanks for the report. We just found the reason for high CPU usage is due to a wrong compiler flag. We are working on it and will release an updated dll next week.

Awesome, thanks for the quick response; looking forwards to the update (the sooner the better). ;)