FAQ - Vive Hand Tracking SDK

Vive Staff

FAQ - Vive Hand Tracking SDK

Hello everyone, I'm developer of Vive Hand Tracking SDK. This topic will include some suggestions and requirements for using Hand Tracking SDK.

Before going through the following FAQ, I suggest you to read our official document, especially the overview section and corresponding plugin documents of your choice.

This FAQ is intended for latest version (v0.8.1). If you are using older version, please upgrade to v0.8.1 first.

DllNotFoundException: aristo_interface

To run inside Unity Editor, please make sure:

1. Your are using 64bit Unity Editor.
  2. Make sure OpenVR is selected and loaded as VR/XR device.

Start Detection Error: Camera

Hand tracking SDK uses camera frames to detect hands, so make sure you have correct setup for camera device:

1. On Windows, make sure you have setup SteamVR following our document.
  2. On Android phones & Focus, make sure you have granted camera permission before start detection.

Start Detection Error: OpenCL

Hand tracking SDK on Windows requires OpenCL for GPU acceleration, therefore please make sure you have proper drivers installed:

1. Upgrade your GPU driver to latest version from NVIDIA/AMD offical website.
    1. Make sure you closed SteamVR before running GPU installer
    2. If you have Intel integrated GPU, please make sure you installed latest driver of iGPU as well
  2. Unity 2018 series (before 2018.3.3f1) have issues for OpenCL in Unity Editor. See details in this Unity issue

Bad hand detection accuracy

Hand Tracking SDK uses a deep learning model to detection hands and fingers. So the accuracy depends largely on the training images, and we are consistently collecting data and improving accuracy. Therefore, hand detection, especially finger tracking, may vary based on your lighting condition and background. Here are some tips for temporarily improve accuracy:

1. Roll you your sleeves, make sure wrest is fully visible. This can improve the finger accuracy a lot.
  2. On Vive Pro and Vive Focus, please hold your hand a little higher, since the camera vertical FOV is quite small.
  3. Try to have a high constract background with your hands. For example, avoid yellow wallpaper or wooden floor if you are East Asian; avoid white walls if you are European.
  4. The same goes for lighting. Try to use different light colors, and make sure it's neither too dark (cannot distinguish your hand from environment) nor too light (lossing hand texture details) in your room.
  5. On Android phone, make sure your phone is landscape left rotation.

HarshKapoor
Contributor

Re: FAQ - Vive Hand Tracking SDK

Hey I am unable to figure out whats the problem here can you please help me with it? Its the sample scene,

Unity 2018.3.5f1

Vive Hand Tracking SDK

Screenshot (65).png

Vive Staff

1. Are you using 32-bit Unity? We only support 64-bit Unity Editor on 64-bit Windows.

2. Please check if Assets/Aristo/Plugins/x86_64/aristo_interface.dll exists.

HarshKapoor
Contributor

It is a 64-bit Unity editor and yes the dll file exists at the given location.

Vive Staff

Did you enable OpenVR in XRSettings? OpenVR must be loaded as the current XR device.

HarshKapoor
Contributor

Yes it solved the problem. Thank you!

Vive Staff

Good to see it works. I have editted the post to include your problem in FAQ.

Venikovna
Visitor

Hello! Thank you for this post. But unfortunately, when I start the game in the "Sample" scene, I get the following error:
"Start gesture detection failed: Camera
UnityEngine.Debug:LogError(Object)
Aristo.GestureProvider:StartGestureDetection()
Aristo.<Start>c__Iterator0:MoveNext()
UnityEngine.SetupCoroutine:InvokeMoveNext(IEnumerator, IntPtr"
What can be wrong?

@Jad  @Dario 

Vive Staff

Please follow instructions in our document to setup camera on SteamVR: https://developer.viveport.com/documents/sdk/en/misc/steamvr.html

MDV Games
Pioneer

Hello, @zzy 

Could you tell me when the Vive Hand Tracking plugin will be available for Unreal Engine? I mean for Vive Focus (Android).

Vive Staff

Hi @MDV Games, we are currently working on it. We plan to release it in Q2.

Since no one in our team is familiar with Unreal, it may take some time.

Highlighted
vizeversize
Contributor

I tried to run the given sample scene. OpenVR was included, the camera was working fine, already update patch

However, when ran using Unity 2018.2.20, Unity showed error

when ran using Unity 2017.4.16, Unity crashed and disappeared

The problem also occured when include GestureProvider script to other scenes

Do you know what might be the problem of this

@zzy 

Vive Staff

Hi @vizeversize 

Please help to provide more information about your problem, so we can identify the reason:

1. Can you show what's error you encountered in Unity 2018.2.20?

2. On Unity 2017.4.16, if it crashes after play, you can open Visual Studio, attach to Unity.exe and see where it crashes. See this link for instructions

vizeversize
Contributor

I really need it to work with 2018.2.20

I can't include the crash files, but I think this is the error

igdrclneo64.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module igdrclneo64.dll at 0033:050c0789.

I imported Hand Tracking SDK, then the plugin, then the update files, and include the  openVR
I have another question, Can I use HandSDK together with SRWorks? with the camera seethrough mode.
Vive Staff

Hi @vizeversize 

From a quick google about "igdrclneo64.dll", it seems to be a driver problem which makes OpenCL failed to work. Please make sure:

1. You have installed latest drivers from NVIDIA/AMD (depending on your vendor) and Intel (seems your Intel CPU have integrated GPU). Don't use the one installed by Windows Update. Goto the company website and go to support/driver download page to download latest drivers.

2. Your Vive/Vive Pro is not connected to Intel iGPU.

3. If you still encounter this failure, I would recommend you to disable iGPU in your bios.

Besides, you can test if OpenCL is successfully installed on your system. You can download a OpenCL device query binary from NVIDIA opencl sample website. Scroll down the page and download "OpenCL Device Query" for Windows (x64). You can use the binary in the "NVIDIA GPU Computing SDK\OpenCL\bin\win64\Release" folder of the zip file.

Finally, if this does not solve your problem, I would recommend you to start a new topic dedicated for your problem and we can continue discussion there.

Labels