Vive Pro audio quality

andino
Explorer

Re: Vive Pro audio quality

Vinyl Reality sounds like a trasistor radio. It's a DJ game and it sounds like I'm playing music on a old Victrola.

There is a lot of my money tied up into this thing and it sounds horrible. I'm getting a bit concerned that this issue is not going to get fixed no matter how many 'patches' they release. 

actualhuman
Contributor

I would like to confirm that I have also discovered the camera related issue that someone else had posted in this thread.

When I first start SteamVR, my audio will be "normal" and sound alright (though not particularly great). If I then double tap the HMD or system button to activate the mic/cams and bring up RoomView, when I return to my app the sound is very, VERY loud and tinny. It will stay this way until I restart SteamVR. I have reproduced this many times. It is extremely obvious in Beat Saber.

I believe there may be something going on when it's switching "audio modes" between the normal one and the one with mics activated during RoomView.

paulasheville
Explorer

I can confirm that the "camera trick" is the only way I can get the sound back to full volume again, but the sound quality is still pretty bad.

I have about two weeks left to return this on my return policy, and it's going to be going back if there is not an official fix before that time. I would rather wait until they release a new version with improved audio.

paulasheville
Explorer

I have not even been contact 1:1 as this post promised to ask me about my system specs or audio card/drivers. I'm guessing this is because they know EXACTLY what the problem is already, and they don't have a fix.

tobi_s
Explorer

I've not read every post in this thread, but I haven't seen this "solution" mentioned: press the headphones against your head!

There clearly are software issues as well (what people described above, fixed with switching camera on/off), but I noticed that when I use the headphones to play music through non-VR means (i.e. youtube), I only hear bass when I press the headphones against my ears.  Maybe other people have much wider heads (unlikely, as I can use the normal head cushion) or their headsets have much stronger springs on the earphones, but if I wear my Vive Pro the headphones touch the ears only very lightly and this kills everything beneath ~150Hz or so.

IOW no matter what happens to the software, the headphones are completely inadequate at least for my size of head.

Angelus
Pioneer

USB-C to 3.5mm adapter  connected to Vive OG earphone ---- there is no sound.....

usbc to 3.5.jpg

Angelus
Pioneer

@paulashevillewrote:

I have not even been contact 1:1 as this post promised to ask me about my system specs or audio card/drivers. I'm guessing this is because they know EXACTLY what the problem is already, and they don't have a fix.

me2 no 1:1

paulasheville
Explorer

I am shocked at the complete lack of any kind of decent customer support or even empty BS public relations "we're still working on it" coming from this company. I will be going onto all of relevant the high member numbers Facebook, Reddit, and other social media groups to shout from the rooftops for people to avoid this product.  Congrats HTC, way to alienate and piss off your customer base.

Highlighted
Lestaticon
Pioneer

When you guys are saying you installed an updated firmware regarding this issue, are you saying you received an alert notification in the SteamVR status UI and then right clicked the HMD icon (see screenshot) and selected update firmware? Or are you talking about a SteamVR update? vive_steamvr_icon.PNGSteamVR status

I'm asking because I've been following this issue and the only updates I've received have been SteamVR updates. I have yet to see a firmware notification show on the HMD icon in the SteamVR status interface. I too have the same tinny audio with my Vive Pro.

EDIT: Also, when I check for updated firmware through SteamVR, it shows the list of all devices (lighthouses, controllers, HMD) and each one shows as up to date. However, when I review the System Report, my HMD firmware is dated from Feb, so I am assuming it is not the update/fix firmware others are talking about. So, just want to clarify the 'firmware' people are pointing out.

EDIT2: And this is the firmware information showing for my HMD via the System Report generated in SteamVR. I would be curious the version of the firmware of those who say they have the update?

Device 1 - Headset VIVE_Pro MV HTC LHR-977A625F Firmware: 1518508151 watchman@runner-watchman 2018-02-13 FPGA 531(2.19/0/2) BL 1513896911

Watchman Firmware: 1518508151 / 1518508151 (2018-02-13)

Camera Firmware: 12884967859 / 12884967859 (Version: 03.01.1B3 Date: 2018.Jan.11)

Display Firmware: 2105635 / 2105635

Audio Firmware: 6 / 6

Audio Bridge Firmware: 288 / 288

Image Bridge Firmware: 9 / 9

Angelus
Pioneer

Vive Staff
yesterday
Which adapter are you using? We're officially recommending this adapter: store.google.com/us/product/usb_c_headphone_adapter?hl=en-US

USB-C to 3.5mm adapter connected to Vive OG earphone / JH Roxxanne / 64 fourte ---- no sound at all.....

The USB C port does not work for audio, when I plugged my headphones in it does not even have power.

BTW, I tested the same USB-C to 3.5mm works on phones (Pixel 2 XL) but not on the Vive Pro...

Angelus
Pioneer

@paulashevillewrote:

I am shocked at the complete lack of any kind of decent customer support or even empty BS public relations "we're still working on it" coming from this company. I will be going onto all of relevant the high member numbers Facebook, Reddit, and other social media groups to shout from the rooftops for people to avoid this product.  Congrats HTC, way to alienate and piss off your customer base.

The built in headphones have no bass at all, despite what people have "claimed" they fixed it.

This is what I believe to be an hardware issue.

The so called "Build in amp" in this product is basically false advertising.

Even an $500 phone will sound better than this.

This type of customer support is unacceptable for a product of this price and requirement.

Please spread the words to all social media, YouTubers (SweViver ,mixed reality TV ,Tested) and tech related websites (Engadget, RoadtoVR)  ... Exposing The Truth...

https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/8gmqyx/htc_vive_lawsuit/

Angelus
Pioneer

@paulashevillewrote:

this is a repost, was deleted by admin /mod.. screenshotted

The built in headphones have no bass at all, despite what people have "claimed" they fixed it. (Vive Pro Audio Worse than DAS...)

This type of customer support is unacceptable for a product of this price and requirement.

Please spread the words to all social media, YouTubers (SweViver ,mixed reality TV ,Tested) and tech related websites (Engadget, RoadtoVR) ... Exposing The Truth...

reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/8gmqyx/htc_vive_lawsuit/

unmeaty
Visitor

Count me among the many who are extremely disappointed with the audio for the Vive Pro.

There has been no software fix and HTC has gone radio silent.

I have to assume at this point that HTC either doesn't know or doesn't care about the problem, or it's a hardware issue.

Angelus
Pioneer

@unmeatywrote:

Count me among the many who are extremely disappointed with the audio for the Vive Pro.

There has been no software fix and HTC has gone radio silent.

I have to assume at this point that HTC either doesn't know or doesn't care about the problem, or it's a hardware issue.

admin / mod deleted my post again... screenshotted and on video

The built in headphones have no bass at all, despite what people have "claimed" they fixed it. (Vive Pro Audio Worse than DAS...)

Please spread the words to all social media, YouTubers (SweViver ,mixed reality TV ,Tested) and tech related websites (Engadget, RoadtoVR) ... Exposing The Truth...

Angelus
Pioneer

the msg got deleted by admin/mod suddenly reappeared ^^

i have it on video  https://youtu.be/AjcsGWn9ki4

I didnt double post or spam on vive forum and my post disappear in under 5mins...

thats why i repost my msg and have it recorded on video and screenshotted...
so the pr guy / fanboy cant framed me for breaking the rules ^^

I didnt double post or spam on vive forum and my post disappear in under 5mins... thats why i repost my msg and have it recorded on video and screenshotted... so htc pr / fanboy cant framed me for breaking the rules ^^ ...