Vive Pro audio quality

andino
Explorer

Re: Vive Pro audio quality

Once again, after having my post deleted, what I want to know is if this is a software/driver issue or a hardware issue. If it is a hardware issue then I would like to know so that I can start a return.

Also, thanks for deleting my post. It's always interesting to see how people who paid over $800.00 for a item gets treated when they were one of the first ones to point out a problem. Guess that is the level of service you get for being the 6th person to talk about a legitimate problem. Nice. 

Rob9674
Contributor

The problem is that for 800$ we shouldt be forcd to use ou r own headphones becasue the ones on the Vive pro are so bad. Did anyone test these headphones before releasing them to the public? It seems to me HTC just lyied about the quality of the headphones on the  Vive pro. If the 100$ DAS sounds good why does the 800$$$ Vvie pro sound so crappy David? I dont mean to harp on this but HTC is really hurting their bottom line if people start returning thier Vive pros becasue of bad sounding headphones. All this could of been avoided with better testing and less marketing BS. 

Well 7 more days to go before I return this thing. Lets see if you guys come up with a fix by then(hopefully you do)

I just tried the bass enhancement setting and I can confirm what others have said.  It helps very little and severely limits the volume.

And I also agree that removing the headphones is not an option.  All we're asking is for something at least as good as the LAST GENERATION and CHEAPER deluxe audio strap.  You still have just three options:

1.  A firmware/software fix that actually works and is released asap.

2.  Sending out attachable headphones that actually work as advertised.

3.  A significant refund for selling a faulty, untested product.

andino
Explorer

So, 2 deleted posts later.

Is this a sofware issue or a hardware issue?

andino
Explorer

Please, by all means, keep deleting the posts without answering.

4th try.

Is it a hardware issue or a software issue?

TylerDax
Settler

Since the Steam Beta/Firmware update fixed the "No Bass"-Issue for me, i can confirm that the issue really is only a software-related problem. So for those of us where the Update did´nt work, there should be a solution soon. My Headphones are also more then loud enough when turning the volume all up, even that i set the "Bass Boost"-Option to +6db. 

Also make sure that you choose "Vive Pro Multimedia Audio" as Output in the Steam VR-Settings, before i had something with "Vive Pro Nvidia..." which had less bass and much less volume.

With all that settings, i have clear, rich and detailed sound now with nice low frequencies and enough volume.

One issue i have left is that the earphones provide to little pressure on my ears so that the power of the sound is  unfortunately less rich as it could be. I fixed this by using a wide rubber band around the Vive which works perfect, but is of course just a "quick and dirty"-fix. As i read many people also complaining about that, so my only requirement would be any HTC-Hardware-upgrade for that like tougher springs for the headphones or whatever. Apart from that, i´m really happy with the Pro now.

Mikalltaylor
Settler

Interesting update. Sound still very low in games at 100% vol yet I connected my phone on Bluetooth and the call volume was unbearably loud. Could this mean a software issue?
Rockjaw
Architect

@andino - your posts were being flagged as Spam, not deleted by us - just FYI.

paulasheville
Explorer

David,

Yes I've turned the volume on the headset all the way up as well as in the System (windows).  I have the firmware updated and am in the beta for SteamVR.

If you think that saying "you can use your own headphones" or "you will have to wait until the development community uses our new SDK to fix the sound" will keep me or any other users experiencing this issue from returning the unit, you are mistaken. Those are both very poor PR responses to this issue.

paulasheville
Explorer

Just so everyone can see that the issue is not at all isolated:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/8c20ue/vive_pro_audio_unacceptable/
Vive Staff

Valve has released their audio quality update into the release branch for SteamVR

https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/2859099222349123003

Thank you,

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support on vive.com and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

Vive Care Operating Hours: 9am to 6pm PST, M-F
Highlighted
Blastro
New Arrival

This latest release (1524162059) has not solved the problem for me after updating the HMD firmware and rebooting. Please let me know how I can submit system information to help debug and get a fix for my setup. Thanks.

Zacware
Explorer

Hey

I downloaded the latest Steam Beta (dated April 19) and depsite  restarting everything several times my Pro headset does't see a new firmware update.... It just says "Up to Date". I assume it didn't update automatically?

How can I tell if I have the "latest" firmware?

paulasheville
Explorer

So, this new Steam release is just the full release of the patch that was already in the Beta branch? Nothing new correct?

I've done A/B testing of the Vive Pro headphones compared to my deluxe audio strap headphones and the difference in sound quality is substantial.

MartinMarty
Architect

@VibrantNebulawrote:

The Pro does have an integrated amp - the gain of that amp is controlled independently of SteamVR/Windows and is managed by the volume control interface on the left earpiece.  @MartinMarty @paulasheville @chenkb @Rob9674 can you please verify that the volume drop you reported is still present when both the HMD's amp is set to maximum output (as set by pressing the volume up button on the HMD) and the volume is maxed out at the global, device, and application layer of windows? 

We're still evaluating the deployment of the update currently hosted in the beta channel. As stated previously, some of this will require some optimization/integration from the larger developer community. If you'd like to contribute a system report for evaluation, I'm happy to send you the instructions to do so. As a reminder, you're free to use external headphones with the Pro if you have a pair that are more towards your preference - this is a tested and verified USB-C adapter

I am writing to confirm that volume is at 100% everywhere including the button on the earpiece, which also moves the Windows main volume to 100%. Music volume within the application, for example, Audioshield, is also set at 100%.

We are not crazy customers asking the impossible. YOU GUYS SET THE MARK WITH THE DAS. Is it unreasonable to expect at least the same level of performance as the previous generation device? This gets me so upset after HTC's FAILURE to ever fix the grey-out issue with the original Vive, I really don't want to go through the same fiasco again with no fix at the end of the tunnel. I don't want to send back the Vive Pro but I can see we're heading for another HTC joke of support. Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice shame on me.