PC Headset plugged into wrong video card with wireless vive adapter

SOLVED
zeshin
Settler

PC Headset plugged into wrong video card with wireless vive adapter

So i just hooked up the wirless adapter, and everything was running smooth. I tried out beat saber and it works fine. I try out VRChat and I get the message "This application requires the headset and the main monitor be plugged into the same graphics card." This also happens with Sprint Vector. I've tried updating my drivers, verifying i cant change the graphics card via the nvida control panel, messed with launch options, changed conncetion mode on the wirless app, ensured the cables for the old headset were not plugged in, reset my computer after each test to verify things took. I've been told that this device can work with vrchat, I just have no idea what to do at this point to get it to work.

I'm using a vive pro headset, titan z graphics card, i7-7700k CPU, 32 gigs of ram, 64-bit windows 10 opperating system.

Vive Staff

Re: PC Headset plugged into wrong video card with wireless vive adapter

@zeshin

Understood. Can you please take a SteamVR system report and attach the .txt file to a PM to me?

Thank you,

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support on vive.com and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

Vive Care Operating Hours: 9am to 6pm PST, M-F
zeshin
Settler

I created a System report and sent it to you via pm

-Zeshin

Gaisuru
Contributor

I have a similar issue with several games. I guess no one did any testing before they shipped it.

doughbree
Settler
Solution

Yeah, I can confirm same issue occurs with wireless adapter on Vive Pro in Subnautica and Brookhaven (that I've tested). Seems like anything that uses the screen buffer is not compatible with the wireless adapter?
richardyarlett
New Arrival

So after ALL DAY yesterday trying to figure this out, my problem, the exact same error message, was instantly solved by simply disabling my SECOND VIDEO CARD. Once that was temporarily disabled, STEAM VR and all the apps like Google Earth VR, worked fine.

HOWEVER, I am getting quite a lot of "de-res'ing" and "signal breakup" coming into the headset feed. It seems to be pulsing every one second, with a noticable picture refresh. I am assuming this is the WiGIG data stream maybe getting interference from my wireless router or something. 

Hope this helps someone.

Gaisuru
Contributor

I found a solution after talking to tech support. I was using displayport to connect my graphics card to my monitor. I switched cables and connected using HDMI and that fixed my problems. It's not a pretty solution, but it did start working.

zeshin
Settler

this solution did not work at all for me, and the error keeps poping up. Can we reopen this issue?
doughbree
Settler

My monitor has G-Sync and only a Display Port. This isn't really a solution, it's a workaround. I'd be happy to provide logs if it will help debug.
epsilon748
Settler

I had this issue with my desktop only when I was using the Vive Pro + wireless for some reason. It worked fine with Vive OG + wireless. In my specific case it seems to crap out with two GPUS when they aren't running SLI. Monitor connected to card 1 with displayport, got the error. Switched to card 2, same error. Turned on SLI and plugged back into card 1 - worked fine. It's a bit weird that the pro requires SLI enabled to "hide" the second card and clear the error.

zeshin
Settler

I wanted to add info that might help. When I launch a game like vrchat, the headset will show it indefinitely loading, the game will act load up on the desktop. Not only that, but the display shows everything working fine, tracking and all, it's just the error is there and the headset gets no information.
doughbree
Settler

Yup, exactly. I notice the game booting up and even tracking properly but the headset continues inifinitely loading and I get the error.

The SLI is a good point. I had to unplug my SLI bridge to add the vive wireless card in between the two heat-spewing behemoths of a card (comfy Smiley Happy ) and though I plugged it back in, I did not change any settings when booting up so it's possible SLI mode was reset.

I also have the original Vive, maybe I can try to reproduce on that as you said, but for now it's confirmed only on Pro in a dual 1080 Ti.

aleciuf
Contributor

I have the same issue, many games do not start on HMD but on monitor seem to boot correctly. "Raw data", "Robo heist" for example. Other games like "Arizona sunshine", "Hover junkers" and "Gorn" work fine. I tried to connect the monitor with HDMI instead of the display port, to connect it on the scecond GPU but nothing...

My setuo is: Vive Pro + Wireless adapter,  i7, 16 Gb DDR4, M.2 RAID 0 HDDs, SLI 2x 1080Ti (Aorus liquid)

CameraSkunk
New Arrival

Wow glad I'm not the only one with this "comfy" situation. Right between two 1080s. I'm sapping the heat away using Liquid cooling loop though so hopefully less an issue. 

I am having the issue wiht the original vive not Pro so ... YAY

Vive Staff

We have found that updating to the latest GPU drivers have resolved this issue for some users. You can also try disabling extra GPUs to figure out which one works.

Thank you,

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support on vive.com and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

Vive Care Operating Hours: 9am to 6pm PST, M-F