Grip buttons not working after forced Vive desktop update.

Vive Staff

Re: Grip buttons not working after forced Vive desktop update.

You shouldn't lose any games you bought, but you'll have to reinstall the games again. 

Thanks,

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support on vive.com and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

Vive Care Operating Hours: 9am to 6pm PST, M-F
x32
Settler

I uninstalled and downloaded before you answered. Using the Windows Programs and Features panel I uninstalled everything that said Vive on it. I then downloaded ViveSetup and reinstalled everything. Still no change.
Vive Staff

@x32I sent you a PM.

Thank you,

-John C

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support on vive.com and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

x32
Settler

So today I find that Pierhead Arcade is working again. That is, I can use the grip buttons to drop guns. However Ocean Rift and Dinosaur Park are still not working. I just completed uninstalling/reinstalling Ocean Rift but grip buttons still do not work.
Vive Staff

@x32

So I went through the logs and I can't find anything related to the controller grip buttons. At least nothing that jumps out at me.

So are we down to just two games (Ocean Rift and Dinosaur Park) not working or is it still more besides that? Any idea what happened with Pierhead Arcade. Any game updates for that?

Thanks,

-John C

x32
Settler

Looks like Pierhead Arcade hasn't update since October. I don't always test it after trying a fix so I don't know when it started working again. Also, the thumbpad is now working with Trials on Tatooine again, so two games fixed... somehow. I haven't gone through every game but I'm pretty sure there are more than just these last two left. I test Dinosaur Park (menu button) and Ocean Rift (grip buttons) because they are two games I play all the time.
x32
Settler

I have learned how to backup the games to an external hard drive. Now I'm at the point I'm ready to wipe everything VR related clean and reinstall. What is there that won't get deleted by uninstalling Vive and Steam? Any appdata folders or reg entries I would need to manually delete?
Vive Staff

@x32

I'd almost suggest a full OS reinstall if you can manage that, as far as what needs to go, there's five viveport components, your settings which are going to be under your user folder, but unfortunately there isn't a definitive list of where all the registry keys are. 

Thank you,

-John C

x32
Settler

A developer just let me know that the problem was brought on in an update. "its a bit technical what fixed it for me was changing the code that detects grip to GetPressDown(...) instead of GetTouchDown(...) in the code, so I assume that recently Valve changed (or fixed) how they handle input with the grip button" He released an update to his game this morning and now it works fine. It was NEVER an issue with my computer but an issue of being forced to update when everything is working fine.
Vive Staff

@x32

So it was a specific game(s) that were updated by the developers that caused the bug?

Interesting,

-John C

x32
Settler

No, it was a change of how the drivers handle input. "code that detects grip to GetPressDown(...) instead of GetTouchDown(...)"
Vive Staff

@x32

Interesting. This doesn't appear to be a widespread problem. What did you get your Vive?

Thanks,

-John C