12-28-2018 07:58 PM
So, after much waiting and saving, I received my vive unit today. I've had it for 4 hours and is has been working 'ok'. So far, and I might ruffle some feather here, I feel like the PSVR I am trying to graduate from feels more reliable. And now I have gotten the fault 03 issue. Am I to understand this new unit is already defective hardware and the only solution is to wait for someone to issue an RMA and then wait longer to receive something that hopefully works? I researched for months on the two big dogs in the VR ring. Someone, please convince me this thing is worth the trouble and the frustration, 'cus at this point, my RMA may be through the retailer to see what these touch controllers are all about.
(firmware bricked motors)¯\_(ツ)_/¯ (the other side of the hill)
12-29-2018 12:57 AM
12-31-2018 12:07 PM
I have been having the same issue as described here, if anybody could help me that would be greatly appreciated.
2 weeks ago - last edited 2 weeks ago
I just got the same issue. Of course it was about a week past Amazon's (the "authorized reseller/retailer") return policy, and yes it happened immediately after the firmware update. (For what it's worth the unit worked FINE before the update ... I wish I hadn't updated at all).
After spending MUCH time with the online HTC support engineer (I'm currently at one hour in the chat), he is issuing an RMA... and I'm responsible for shipping (for a brand new unit that gets bricked with their firmware update), and it will take "at least 3wks from the time they receive the unit" to process the repair. So, with shipping time, I'm looking at over a month without this brand new unit.
I've noticed that some people have commented that they're getting the "blinking red light" on one of their units, but the headset seems to work fine. My understanding is that because the other remaining base station / lighthouse is doing ALL the work, and the blinking one is not working at all, your headset may APPEAR to be working fine (when in fact you likely don't have 360 degree tracking available now). You can confirm this because if you're facing away from the one that works, and facing toward the blinking one, your headset will probably lose tracking (and go blank). You need to understand that it is NOT "working anyway", and you should get it fixed or replaced before your warranty runs out or your other base station gets bricked too.
Wednesday - last edited Wednesday
This is horrible support on the part of HTC. Once they've confirmed a base station is dead that is under warranty they should send out an advance replacement and require that the damaged unit be sent back. Then take the credit card info from the user with the understanding that if the defective unit is not returned within 30 days, they will be charged for a new unit..
That is standard protocol on items like this. I have a very hard time believing they are actually repairing these, can anyone confirm? I'd think it would cost more to repair them then just sending out a new one.
I've got this problem as well and I'll just buy a new base station, no way I'm going to waste the time to send them a unit and wait a weeks/months to get it repaired.
Also you are correct, that is exactly what is happening, when I swirl my head towards the blinking base station it blanks out.
The current turn around time in North America for Vive RMAs is averaging ~9 days - we contract out an authorized service center to preform the repairs and do not preform the repairs in-house except in countries where we have first party infrastructure. Bear in mind that when you see forum posts, you're seeing only exception cases and abnormal cases; the majority of repairs are processed by our authorized repair center without issue.
Technical Specialist - San Francisco, CA; Monday-Friday
I've been trying to contact chat for days now regarding the blinking red light issue to set up an RMA but have yet to receive a response. Is there a preferred time to chat in order to get a response? I'm in PST and am still within the EST range when I try. I sent an email to support on 2/11 without a reply yet. Is there an option for me to pay for a new one and get reimbursed after the RMA goes through?