What is the best and cheapest computer setup that is powerful enough to run the HTC Vive?

ADRIENNE224
Visitor

What is the best and cheapest computer setup that is powerful enough to run the HTC Vive?

I want to build a computer powerful enough to play VR games.

Vive Staff

Re: What is the best and cheapest computer setup that is powerful enough to run the HTC Vive?

@ADRIENNE224

Check out this link: https://www.vive.com/us/ready/

RECOMMENDED COMPUTER SPECS

Processor: Intel™ Core™ i5-4590 or AMD FX™ 8350, equivalent or better

Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce™ GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon™ RX 480, equivalent or better. For additional graphics card options, view the complete list.

Memory: 4 GB RAM or more

Video output: 1x HDMI 1.4 port, or DisplayPort 1.2 or newer

USB: 1x USB 2.0 port or newer

Operating system: Windows™ 7 SP1, Windows™ 8.1 or later or Windows™ 10

Thanks!

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support on vive.com and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

Vive Care Operating Hours: 9am to 6pm PST, M-F
CaTaPulT
Architect

Re: What is the best and cheapest computer setup that is powerful enough to run the HTC Vive?

For a decent experience, I would change a couple things from John's list.....

Minimum of 8 gigs ram (16 would be better)

Minimum Video card go with a GTX 1070.

Regards: Jack

Vive Staff

@CaTaPulT

Excellent point Jack, I was just reposting the minimum requirements.

Thanks,

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support on vive.com and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

Vive Care Operating Hours: 9am to 6pm PST, M-F
CaTaPulT
Architect

I hear you John, the bare minimum specs would get VR working, but maybe not very well when you get into graphic intensive software. Especially the RAM, at 4 gigs, having windows use up most of that, and any other drivers and background tasks, there would be nothing left for VR thus Windows feeding off the swap file which would bring the system to it's knees and be annoyingly slow and choppy in VR.

Regards: Jack