New hardware, subscription services for Viveport and more at CES today

Highlighted
Rockjaw
Architect

New hardware, subscription services for Viveport and more at CES today

More to come, but here's your blog for starters:

https://blog.vive.com/us/2017/01/04/vive-ces-2017/

Thoughts?

More - here's the Vive Tracker. It's sort of the size of a hockey puck, and basically can be attached to lots of different things. We have it on our livestream tomorrow, so tune in...

Vive Tracker IMG 2 - Side.pngVive TrackerVive Tracker IMG 3 - Side.pngVive Tracker IMG 1 - Flat.png

Here's the Deluxe Audio Strap. I haven't gotten my hands on this one yet except in prototype form, but it's looking good...

Vive Deluxe Audio Strap - Solo-2000w.png

We also announced a subscription service for Viveport... more details on that in due course but in the meantime you can sign up to get notified and possibly get a free trial here: https://www.viveport.com/subsignup

Se7en11
Architect

Re: New hardware, subscription services for Viveport and more at CES today

Lots of Good stuff coming out makes me glad i got the Vive
One negative. I have signed up to the Viveport subscription but your dont have Thailand listed :smileysad:  and im sure a few other will be mentioning their countries as well. 

Also will i be able to watch the broadcasts after they have finished as i dont fancy sitting up until 3am would rather catch up the nextday. 

The head strap is a must purchase as mine is looking a little haggered and i know i can speak to htc and get a free replacement but would rather get this beautiful new fully equiped strap. 

Subscription service sounds interesting i expect to be customer number 007 or 777 :smileyhappy: if that can be arranged please @Rockjaw 

Looking forward to more updates hope next year i might fly over and actually see it all happen live. 

Se7enVR
-Is it Real or Just VR? not a question just a Signature
Se7en11
Architect

https://youtu.be/BS2S2SFP1r0

Se7enVR
Headstrap: http://uploadvr.com/htc-vive-audio-headstrap-rift/ Tracker: http://uploadvr.com/vive-tracker-reveal-ces-2017/ Don't forget to Like, Comment, and Subscribe! Website: http://www.uploadvr.com Twitter: https://twitter.com/UploadVR Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/uploadvr/
GrimGreener
Builder

All I can say is BOOM! Followed by a little groan from my company debit card. Which is meant to be on a diet. That headstrap looks essential, for the wireless adaptor. And the accessory mount track looks like I need to be prepared for a whole host of things to stick it onto.

It does seem to be puching the price up and up into VRCade / commerical type territory thought, with people already complaining about the price. Personally I'm happy - as I recognised the opportunity and am now probably less than a month away from opening... hopefully Viveport Arcade will be available in time for me opening my doors!? Any ideas on when it will be available for Beta in the UK? I want to point out I'm a system tester in my day job, working on large scale enterprise systems ... so if you need volunteers to prove it works... nudge wink.

Will be looking out for these gun controllers and bats etc.

This is really exciting stuff.

I do a lot of R&D for a large University, as well as teach a VR Development course. I have a Vive personally (which I love), but I'd like to start bringing hardware in-house professionally so I can make it available for research efforts, staff training, sponsor engagement, and my VR development classes. Is there anyone I can talk with to discuss getting hands-on with this tech?

I have a Vive developer profile, which has my organization, e-mail and physical address (it didn't ask for phone).

Thanks,

Blake

Deflamol
Visitor

Is HTC giving trackers to developers? How can our development team apply to get one?

GrimGreener
Builder

Think you'll be expected to buy one. Otherwise there might be 450,000 other Vive owners decide its time they learned Unity ;)

You guys are moving in the right direction, unlike the oculus rift. In games there should be more movement than we have with desktop PC. As for the weight of the device. You guys apparently did not serve in the army and was not wearing an army helmet. It is necessary to unload the neck muscles moving the weight on the shoulders. On the bridge of the nose should be only the weight of the screen, well, if you cannot find a better place then and the camera. No built-in headphones, however you've not provided. Well, the most important is content, give mmorpg for your device and millions of players will sell their kidney.

Rockjaw
Architect

@Se7en11 wrote:

Lots of Good stuff coming out makes me glad i got the Vive
One negative. I have signed up to the Viveport subscription but your dont have Thailand listed :smileysad:  and im sure a few other will be mentioning their countries as well. 

Also will i be able to watch the broadcasts after they have finished as i dont fancy sitting up until 3am would rather catch up the nextday. 

The head strap is a must purchase as mine is looking a little haggered and i know i can speak to htc and get a free replacement but would rather get this beautiful new fully equiped strap. 

Subscription service sounds interesting i expect to be customer number 007 or 777 :smileyhappy: if that can be arranged please @Rockjaw 

Looking forward to more updates hope next year i might fly over and actually see it all happen live. 

I don't think that the dropdown maps to countries where subscriptions will be available, but I will check and try to find out.

Both the livestreams are now available on Facebook - 

Day 1 stream

Day 2 stream

I'll see what I can do about that number ;)

Rockjaw
Architect

@GrimGreener wrote:

All I can say is BOOM! Followed by a little groan from my company debit card. Which is meant to be on a diet. That headstrap looks essential, for the wireless adaptor. And the accessory mount track looks like I need to be prepared for a whole host of things to stick it onto.

It does seem to be puching the price up and up into VRCade / commerical type territory thought, with people already complaining about the price. Personally I'm happy - as I recognised the opportunity and am now probably less than a month away from opening... hopefully Viveport Arcade will be available in time for me opening my doors!? Any ideas on when it will be available for Beta in the UK? I want to point out I'm a system tester in my day job, working on large scale enterprise systems ... so if you need volunteers to prove it works... nudge wink.

Will be looking out for these gun controllers and bats etc.

Hey @GrimGreener! Welcome back. I have no current date to share on Viveport Arcade's availability, I'm afraid. I'm hopeful sooner rather than later. We'll definitely want to reach out to potential operators to Beta test, never fear. ;)

Obviously yes, if you choose to purchase a wireless kit, Deluxe Audio strap, Trackers etc your price is going to go up. We really feel the Tracker is mostly going to either be bundled, or will be something that can be used on a variety of different peripherals (or indeed, with whatever you have to hand - I mean one baseball bat is the same as the other right?). Of course, who knows what might happen with pricing in the future? It's more likely to go down than up. :)

Rockjaw
Architect

@Deflamol wrote:

Is HTC giving trackers to developers? How can our development team apply to get one?

Hey @Deflamol, there actually are plans to give away a limited number of trackers. When I have more info on how to apply, I'll share. :)

BDS
Constructor

I love the new announcements. To me, it seemed HTC was well aware of what it needed to do to keep itself in the front of PC VR scene and did execute it flawlessly.  Coming out with the well designed tracker instead of specific controllers, etc.. was pure genius. And the upgraded head strap with built in speakers, provided an answer to those suggesting another headset with those options beat the Vive as well as fixed the Vive's most critical flaw, it's poorly designed head strap.

Overall, very well done. The head honchos over at HTC should be proud. 

Se7en11
Architect

@BDS wrote:

I love the new announcements. To me, it seemed HTC was well aware of what it needed to do to keep itself in the front of PC VR scene and did execute it flawlessly.  Coming out with the well designed tracker instead of specific controllers, etc.. was pure genius. And the upgraded head strap with built in speakers, provided an answer to those suggesting another headset with those options beat the Vive as well as fixed the Vive's most critical flaw, it's poorly designed head strap.

Overall, very well done. The head honchos over at HTC should be proud. 

Now as long as they get the marketing correct it will be a success.
The one thing that lets HTC down is the marketing, They make some of the best phones but unless you follow Tech you would never know.  Apple and Samsung have copied and brought out substandard phones but shift more units because of the marketing. 

Se7enVR
GrimGreener
Builder

Talking of marketing I wouldn't be suprised is HTC make a gear VR equivalent and I'm just not aware of it! ;-) Given their leading position in the PC VR market is seems making something that runs Daydream apps, would be a great +. Will have to check out next time I'm due a new phone. Droppped my S7 edge recently and it now has a purple line 1cm in from the right. I can live with it for phone use... but in the Gear VR it's very distracting :(

The New Google pixel are made by htc i believe and on the 12/1/2017 something new is being announced 'U' not sure if its a new phone will have to wait and see 

Se7enVR