If you could Design a Vive Game what would it be?

Highlighted
Se7en11
Architect

If you could Design a Vive Game what would it be?

If a games developer asked you to come up with an idea of a game for VR what would you do. 
Being Old Skool i would love a game like Road Rash.
Your sat on a Bike and you use your head and Body to the bike from left to right as your passing a bike you can punch the other riders off the bike. 
So What would you do?

Se7enVR
-Is it Real or Just VR? not a question just a Signature
Stig
Pioneer

Re: If you could Design a Vive Game what would it be?

Collaborative music sessions where you can play songs together, like Rock Band :-)

And adaptations of great books with fantastic and emotional content such as Bradbury's or Sturgeon's stories.

Then platform games where you get to run, fly, jump, crawl, roll, morph... In funny uplifting environments.

Rockjaw
Architect

Great question, @Se7en11!

I think what I'd like to see most - and I know some devs are working on this - is some sort of superhero style experience. Now, some of them could be puke-inducing (eg, not sure I want to swing like Spider-Man) but I think, for example, flying, super-strength etc could be a lot of fun. There are some demos/Early Access games that handle this, I just haven't had a chance to try any.

You mentioned book adaptations, @Stig, and that's interesting too. I would absolutely love to see The Time Machine adapted, although more specifically, I want to see the first travel section from George Pal's 1960 movie (which you can rent to watch on YouTube here). Basically, it's sort of a time-lapse sequence in which, as he travels forward in time faster and faster, you see the world around him changing. I'd like to see that, although preferably backward in time.

What I'd really like to see, though, is an adaption of Time After Time (my favorite book) where you, as the time traveler, would step back in time to 19th century New York. You'd be able to walk around, interact with people, see things... could be amazing as an educational tool and an experience.

What other things would people like to see?

Se7en11
Architect

Great Ideas That was going to be my next question for next week what Movies or Books would you like to see VR I guess i know your answer already. :)

Se7enVR
-Is it Real or Just VR? not a question just a Signature
HuskyDread
Explorer

I think that a realistic gang/mob game would be cool. You get in and your a new guy who can only afford bad weaponds, and you have to earn money and respect. It would kinda of be like GTA except a little less crazy and more realistic.

Another cool idea would be a realistic survival game where you get in and you have to make tools and take a while to chop down a tree, then chop it into logs to build a house. You could join with other players to make a family or a village.

Digitalbil
Contributor

Great idea..I spent many hours playing road rash and roadrash2. I could see that working providing that they would allow the development on it. I think it was electronic arts if I remember correctly.

Digitalbil
Contributor

Great idea..I spent many hours playing road rash and roadrash2. I could see that working providing that they would allow the development on it. I think it was electronic arts if I remember correctly.

Actually all of your ideas were pretty on point. I develop but have not done much on games though. After experiencing the paranormal teaser game, I think horror games could do really well. I was thinking of putting my efforts towards building a game that would allow the user to use simplified tools and generate their own game, such as a long haunted house. Allow the user to structure it , decorate it , choose the scare points. Then allow it to be packaged like a custom made level and distribute it. I spoke with one of the companies who makes the monster layouts and they are interested if I can structure it be an add on or plugin with a small but reasonable cost for themselves, this would also help to ensure some quality graphical designs and possibly allow for crazier items that they couldn't normally do live. The vr world seems to need this kind of a boost or push that in turn would draw more people into having some kind of ability to have a role even if it's a small one, seems like everyone wants to be behind the scenes as a part of something bigger and not just a player who plays it through once and never looks at it again.

Rockjaw
Architect

I haven't tried it yet, but Yore VR (here) sounds sort of like what you're describing here!

@HuskyDread wrote:

Another cool idea would be a realistic survival game where you get in and you have to make tools and take a while to chop down a tree, then chop it into logs to build a house. You could join with other players to make a family or a village.

lee1968
Settler

Something like rock band but you are a muscian  you start a band   In clubs and goal is to get to arena status.  Pick your instrement and start a band. Your life style effects your  progress. Drink to much bad gig  longer it takes to get to the top.  Play in vr clubs  earn money put into stage show and gear. 

Spick1923
Contributor

First off I would want to get a good handle of what the technolgy is capable of, and what it's limitations are.

Secondly I would start collecting as much data as I can relevent to the project.

The game I would design would be a Story which is told through a chain of existential type puzzle's and cunundrums, questioning and trying to solve things like moral, and ethical problems along the way, However more along the line of star trek style ethics, It would be a open world game but you would be directed along the way, not quite as open world as GTA though. 

Basically the only way to win the game is by being a nice, cooperative person, you can solve as many puzzles as you like but ultimatly until you have been 90% cooperative to every one you won't win the game, there would be many tricks along the way to try to provoke a negative response.

But the story would be solid, and it would have things based on a psycholgical study of emotional response patterns to garner which games and puzzles worked the best, I mean you test everything doubly so, when your covering virgin ground to see if it works.

The way I see it, this technology can help many people learn how to think more clearly and positively about the real world they live in, devloping real world problem solving skills.

I would want to take advantage of that in any VR game I built, But it seems to me seeing as we are dealing with a perfect example of first person perspective, dialouge, thinking based games that draw you into it is what I think would proberbly be most effective. 

I mean if we can just sit there and be entertained by a good film where we don't interact with it at all, (I Still love a good film!)  It wouldn't take too much to write compelling games in a whole new way with this new form of media.

Maybe call it: Walk A Mile In My Shoes

Spick1923
Contributor

Oh just to add, for this game to feel right, there would need to be some form of speech recognition.

Hey I loved monkey Island, When I was 13, some 20 years ago, Now I think you need to be able to talk to charecters using a choice of dialouge, 

Just like fall out 3, Only you have to actually say your choice of response not just click on it!
This would be seriously cool! 

titlingcape
Visitor

if i could make a vive game id definitly make a halo master chief VR game most definitaly!!!!

Playing 3D chess on VR. The main character as a King, ruling entire game from the height of the horse.
Al chequers as realistic as possible, and a chess board lay out in the beautiful mediaeval landscape created from the evenly cut grass.

Akeydel
Explorer

I've always wanted a quality adaptation of the two major games in Ender's Game.
1: the fantasy-adventure rpg where you can take a bunch of different, unexpected actions. Goblins and gnomes seems like a step in that direction, but even more unique interactions would be amazing.

2: The battle room! first-person, zero-g, pvp. It would be an alternate form of locomotion using your hands, (something like Lone Echo's doing) . Good aim and reactions wouldn't be as important as skill in moving around. 

With so many possibilities, I'd love to see things besides traditional realistic fps games.

[EDIT] Looks like there IS a very battle-room-esque game through Lone Echo's 'Echo Arena' , so thats cool. 

hobocutie137
Visitor

I would love a game that you can pick environments to be in and then pick a natural disaster. See what would happen to a city you're standing in if a meteor were to hit, or a tsunami. A cool simulation idea, I think.