Community Announcements

Need help with Viveport? Read this FAQ for information.

flashing grey screen

Contributor

Re: flashing grey screen

I'm experiencing the same issue. Here's some info to help your team resolve:

Re: flashing grey screen [ New ]

Issue: Vive works perfectly find for 20-30 minutes when i'm playing the archery game in the lab since thats what i usually play.
then grey screen starts to appear more and more and then in about 4 minutes it goes completely grey.
Ive spent a couple weeks trying to work on this with suggestions from every type of forum and still not working.

1) The manufacture date of your Vive. This can be found by sliding off the 3-in-1 cable compartment cover.

2) The rough date that you started expericing problems

Unsure exactly since this was bought 2nd hand but started a couple days after i purchased it around June 15th

3) Any environmental factors you feel may be influencing the problem

no.

4) Any workarounds you find that alleviates the issue, even if it's impractical

just optimize the lighthouse positions and play area aleviates it maybe to allow it to work another 10 minutes

Constructor

Do you guys leave your computer powered on all the time? I do. I measured the front of my HMD at 35.4ºC before starting SteamVR.

Pioneer

I usually turn the PC off when I don't need it.
Settler

i usually turn the computer and the link box off, i read that the lighthouses i can let them turn on all day without a problem.

Settler

[ Edited ]

I receive the grey flashes roughly 20 minutes after playing games. I'm at a loss on how to fix this really. 

I received the HTC Vive on the 6th July. 

My specs are: 

Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
AMD FX-9370
Vishera 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 2666MHz (11-11-11-28)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. CROSSHAIR V FORMULA-Z (Socket 942) 
Graphics
Z35 (2560x1080@144Hz)
8192MB ATI AMD Radeon R9 390 Series (XFX Pine Group)
Storage
238GB Samsung SSD 850 PRO 256GB (SSD)
111GB KINGSTON SV300S37A120G (SSD) 
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1CH164 (SATA)
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-32BN5A0 (SATA)

Below is  a picture of my room set up. 

19964966_10208132324540463_1349304469_n.png

I am also experiencing a problem with my controllers where each time I reopen SteamVR I have to release the pairing on the controllers via the Lighthouse console and re-pair them. If I do not do this, then the controllers are not picked up. 

I am running the SteamVR beta software version. 

Pioneer

Welcome to family!

We have the same symptoms.

Settler

[ Edited ]

I changed the HTC Link Box to a USB 3.0, reinstalled Steam Vr, all the drivers and experienced about 50 minutes of gametime before I then started to experience the flashes. I turned on my SteamVR this morning and the controllers connected right there and then so I think that problem got solved (fingers crossed). 

Only problem is, I'm experiencing a slight wobble when accessing menus. In game, not so much.

I've ordered the Inateck PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port PCI Express Card that has been recommended by HTC. I'll see whether that makes any difference today. 

I hate not being able to diagnose this problem properly. I know my computer in and out and could fix any problem I have. This Vive is so new that I'm left worrying whether it is hardware or software. I'm leaning more towards software at the moment due to the consistency of the problem. 

Pioneer

Another one of many sad users of HTC Vive. Honestly I packed it back in box. I'm just waiting HTC will solve this problem. I thing , i'm close to turn it back to the shop and buy Oculus. I spent a lot of money to gadget wich develop team can't solve obvios problem during several months.  HTC , just be honest, say us, it's warranty case. We will send you bad HDM and you send us back normal, and everything will be ok.

Pioneer

[ Edited ]

JustJabba,

very waiting fot your resultate.

Settler

Installed the USB PCI-E card. Everything connects to it completely fine and controllers responsive from the moment I start SteamVR. I'm confident in saying this has fixed the controller connection problem. 

However, I am still receiving the same grey flashes. These appear after roughly 20 minutes of game time and tend to appear in very similar locations. I can get away with avoiding those locations for a while but then the grey flashes seem to spread. This has not fixed my issue. 

I've monitored my system while playing and see no reason why my computer should be at fault. The graphics card does get hot (sitting around 75 degrees) but it is an AMD card so I'm not surprised. CPU remains below 40 degrees with around 50% utilisation. 

I did notice a significant amount of frame drops upon entering the SteamVR home so have removed myself from the beta. No impact on the grey issue noted here. 

When the grey issue begins to happen my SteamVR alerts me that my headset is on but is not tracking. I can stare directly at both base stations but this does not solve the issue. I end up turning off my VR, waiting around 20 minutes and loading it back up. I then can play happily enough for another 20 minutes. 

I've got no other ideas on what could be going wrong. I will be testing my environment on Tuesday as I will be moving the VR to another location but I am not confident that this will have any impact.

Constructor

One thing you should check regarding the controllers acting really weird is......
Do you have a device plugged in and powered on which has a throttle, this could be a racing wheel with pedals or a flight stick with a throttle control? if so, try unplugging this device and try your Vive controllers then, chance are they will work well.
I had this problem, I use a Thrustmaster T500rs wheel and pedal combo for sim racing.
Regards: Jack
Pioneer

Thanks for your test report. My issue is absolutly similar. Could you take a photo from HMD while you keep grey screen (for understanding what see by HMD (recommended wide view))?

Settler

[ Edited ]

Didn't take a picture but here is my video recording of gameplay where the grey screen really becomes an issue. 

I stuck the camera on just for this part, normally I have the camera off as I know it can cause tracking problems. The camera is on just to show the environment around as as the grey screen problem is happening. 

https://youtu.be/YDMUdL5WxlQ

Contributor

[SOLUTION] at least for me.

Background of issue: after 20-30 minutes my vive would grey screen more and more frequently until unusable. 

Solution that worked for me- covering up one of the front bottom sensors on the VIVE headset. I read in another forum somewhere that someone had similar issue and they would cover up one of the front bottom sensors and then they wouldn't ever encounter these issues anymore. What I did to figure out which one to cover up is just use my finger to test out different sensors. It appears that this solution actually works by covering up one of several of the front bottom to bottom-middle sensors. I chose one of these sensors and put a sticker on it and now I don't have this issue anymore. Really strange.

@Htc,  hopefully this info helps. any idea of why covering up just one sensor of several of the bottom sensors would fix this issue?

Best,

Contributor

[ Edited ]