flashing grey screen

Vildan
Builder

Re: flashing grey screen

I wrote about this method here, but it doesn't work. Firstly, when you cover some sensors, it begins work good, but, after some time, the grey flashes came back. 

Aidarpro
Builder

Dear, HTC,
How long do you working for this issue?
After 5 month you haven't solved problem of IDan_UK?
(https://community.viveport.com/t5/Technical-Support/Grey-screen-cut-out-after-about-5-mins/m-p/6396)
Why you can't go to one of our homes and have Investigate this problem? We are spending very lot a time and we are nervous.
Sorry, but i don't see your aspiration for solve this issue!
Vildan
Builder

Very intrasting information. It means , that it doesn't conect with the software ver. Bad news for me, that HTC hadn't been able to solve this problem for 5 months.  I think, this problem must be a task of honor for them. In my opinion, it's time for us to say potential buyers about this unsolved problem, before they spent a lot of money. It's time for us to write a lot of posts about this situation with Vive in many palces, were it's selling. If i knew about it before, i wouldn't buy it, before the problem won't solve.

KingRangnar
Builder

@Vildan,

5 months for real ? I thought that we all had this issue started at beginning - mid march. That's why I was leaning more to be a software issue. But now ... with your statement I'm betting more to be hardware. I hope we hear soon from HTC. 

Vildan
Builder

Unfortunatly, The real is more  terrible. According to this (https://community.viveport.com/t5/Technical-Support/Grey-screen-cut-out-after-about-5-mins/m-p/6396) the problem was in 02.2017 , but, according to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujeG46Qc9WM  and this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4qFcb5HhiE  the problem also was in midle of the 2016. So, obviosly i wonder, why for so long time, we still don't have any results of working on this problem.

Here is a troubleshooting guide to help you guys figure out whats causing and how to fix Grey Screen (of death) lol. I have spent 3 days of 3 days owning a vive and i am finally here for you guys will all the solutions to this problem.
hi guys this is how I fixed my tracking issues, It may not work on yours but could be the cause further down the line. I have had 3.5 months with no issues until a week before the video and this is what I found to be my issue. please check here first for more steps to debugging : ...
Aidarpro
Builder

Vildan,

in your post all links except the first have a solution and I think they have a problem of another kind (they do not mention about time (5,10,20... min) before the appearance of gray flashes). Only first link (by iDan_UK) is simmilar to my/our issue and it not solved.

Vildan
Builder

I think, the problem connect with many different things, and all of them is the objects to research.  Maybe we need a numbers of things, wich can impact on tracking to check. 

KingRangnar
Builder

I highly doubt that. As most of us hasn't change anything before the greyouts started... If it were for a software... they should have been much much more people complaining having this issue ... No one of us is an expert, and there might be a lot of things we don't know, but logically everything leads to hardware issue. 

Vildan
Builder

There is one intresting thing: some people wrote, that the flashings came back even after they changed HDM in warranty. I hope it's because of software. 

echeva
Pioneer

I have been talking with idanUK and he solved his problem. It was a combination of his wifi and USB drivers. He got his helmet replaced and the problem wasn't solved. He got a new USB card he recommended to me. My problem was not solved. His neither was until he also replace his wifi. It was an interaction of both factors not only one.

Scaring!

KingRangnar
Builder

@echeva,

Well... it's a mistery , cause I don't even use wifi ... I'm hooked up to my stationary PC with LAN cable ???? And USB drivers suddenly became an issue ? after 3-4 months of use ? Plus I bet we are all on different MOBO's ... or at least We can't be all with same manufacturer. ? I don't know what to think anymore 

echeva
Pioneer

I have WiFi, but it is disabled. I also use wired LAN. I am just saying that may be there are different factors whose combination produces not only one but a set of factors that act as a cause for this problem. So it may be very difficult to track.

So I think HTC would need to debug on each of our PCs. I would be glad to install any kind of debugger or monitor in my PC to track the issue, or just activate an option on VIVE soft if provided.

But I would like to know what is HTC doing to track the problem. We are been given no information and that is starting to worry me.

I also have a Pimax 4K headset and let Pimax support personnel access my PC via Teamviewer in order to help them diagnose a problem when anything else failed. They did and they solved it. While HTC headset is far superior (and more expensive) I would like to have such a level of support or at least being informed about their methodology dealing with this issue.

shenjo
Settler

@KingRangnar do u get your AC now? 

i have the same problems in this topic and my problems gone with AC

Vildan
Builder

it's good idea to use teamviewer or special monitoring software to help HTC solve this problem. HTC, what do you think?
Vive Staff

Hello everyone,

Thank you for all of the information you have provided in this thread.  Flashing grey screens can be caused by a multitude of factors (both software and/or hardware).  Heat is not something that we have encountered before as a cause for problems however I'm not ruling it out, I have requested info on standard or recommended operating temperatures

For those of you experiencing the flashing grey can you capture as much of the below and post back when you are able?  We will be reaching out individually for troubleshooting and additional information gathering.  As you might imagine, everyone's computing environment is vastly different and we just want to make sure we are accounting for everything accurately. 

HMD Serial and date of purchase:

Grey Screen: does  it flicker or stay solid grey?

When problem began (more or less):

Your location:

OS Version: please provide actual version (build etc) by typing "winver" in the run command

Computer Make/Model or Motherboard if homebuilt:

RAM:

Networking or other cards plugged in to motherboard: 

Graphics Card:  make/model any addtional built in graphics as well. Current driver version.

General Computing Environment and Set up: i.e. 2 montiors via DP, USB hub, printers plugged in, UPS  etc.

Steam Version: beta or public release

VR Home Beta enabled/disabled:

Viveport installed/not installed: state which version if installed by going to Settings

Oculus or revive or other VR environment installed:  please state as applicable, any development environments you may be running as well.

Photo of the room your vive is in: If you can it would be good for us to see how the physical layout of the room your vive is in is set up. You can post publicly if you wish or send via PM to myself or @Synthesis or @VibrantNebula.

As your responses come in we will reach out individually to have you email us your SteamVR logs as well (easier to digest as an email attachment).  

Thank you for everything you have shared so far, we are looking forward to working with you on this issue and appreciate your patience as we sift through all of the info.

Thank you!

John

@jagibson