flashing grey screen

Gimpy
Contributor

Re: flashing grey screen

Finally had a chance to troubleshoot with Support today, and it looks strongly like in my case the 3 in 1 cable was the issue - connected the headset using a different USB/HDMI and the link box power cable, and didn't get any grey flashes at all for 20 mins of testing, after having them instantly every 30-60 seconds previously

Padinn
New Arrival

I've had this issue for a while and realized today covering that sensor with my hand fixes it. Seems most predominant in the corners...seems like a very bizarre issue, did they ever fix it? Mine was manufactured in October 2016 so its out of warranty, would need to pay for repair but don't want to waste $300 if it won't address it. I have consumer protection on my credit card and can file a claim with them.

SlaveOne
New Arrival

I had mine a total of two weeks and this isue started occuring, the only fix was the tape over the sensor trick (lame). Luckily for my everyone here confirmed to me this is a real issue and HTC confirmed to me they are not really going to do anything about excpet ask you to update drivers, then ask you to pay to send them the headset to "repair" it. It only take 4-5 weeks though *pffft.

Anyways i had 30days to return it to the vendor, so again i was lucky. Ironically im looking into to just getting a Pro. So now im off to research if the Pro has any known or unofficially known issues and see if that is worth it.

Good luck everyone!

OcelotBaboe
New Arrival

I have the same problem. I found out that the problem comes from the sensor, since I swapped them and found it out. In the same way after 20-30 minutes.

MartinMarty
Architect

@Padinn wrote:

I've had this issue for a while and realized today covering that sensor with my hand fixes it. Seems most predominant in the corners...seems like a very bizarre issue, did they ever fix it? Mine was manufactured in October 2016 so its out of warranty, would need to pay for repair but don't want to waste $300 if it won't address it. I have consumer protection on my credit card and can file a claim with them.

They never fixed it. I ran with the taped-over sensor for like a year (you can go back in this thread and figure out exactly when I taped it) and just got used to it. It's really not an issue since eveything worked fine. The only possible downside might be if I tried to sell my HMD but who cares, the purpose of this thing was for me to have fun and I have and even though the workaround might look a little funny it is solid. FYI, my HMD was replaced way back when and the new one had the same problem.

MartinMarty
Architect

@SlaveOne wrote:

I had mine a total of two weeks and this isue started occuring, the only fix was the tape over the sensor trick (lame). Luckily for my everyone here confirmed to me this is a real issue and HTC confirmed to me they are not really going to do anything about excpet ask you to update drivers, then ask you to pay to send them the headset to "repair" it. It only take 4-5 weeks though *pffft.

Anyways i had 30days to return it to the vendor, so again i was lucky. Ironically im looking into to just getting a Pro. So now im off to research if the Pro has any known or unofficially known issues and see if that is worth it.

Good luck everyone!

In spite of the problem in this thread, I bought the Pro because there is no substitute for the Vive's superior design as far as room-scale tracking is concerned.

I can tell you that I have not had this grey-out problem on the Pro. My only complaint has been that the sound is inferior to the original Vive + DAS. That is not to say that the sound sucks, but if you do VR that involves LOUD music and you compare them side-by-side, the Pro is a step backward and that is really unforgivable in my opinion. How can a company introduce a V2 product that is in any way inferior to their V1 product? Just stupid. Who does that? Maybe Windows Vista? "New" Coke? Anyway, I would think the Pro sounds good had I never heard the DAS.

In every other way I like my Pro except possibly the displayport cable required to run the new displays makes it impossible to extend the cable but I can get by OK in the room I have. If I was really going to do something that took advantage of the larger play area supported by the new base stations I would hope to have the HMD on wireless anyway.

Labels