flashing grey screen

Gimpy
Contributor

Re: flashing grey screen

Finally had a chance to troubleshoot with Support today, and it looks strongly like in my case the 3 in 1 cable was the issue - connected the headset using a different USB/HDMI and the link box power cable, and didn't get any grey flashes at all for 20 mins of testing, after having them instantly every 30-60 seconds previously

Padinn
New Arrival

Re: flashing grey screen

I've had this issue for a while and realized today covering that sensor with my hand fixes it. Seems most predominant in the corners...seems like a very bizarre issue, did they ever fix it? Mine was manufactured in October 2016 so its out of warranty, would need to pay for repair but don't want to waste $300 if it won't address it. I have consumer protection on my credit card and can file a claim with them.

SlaveOne
New Arrival

Re: flashing grey screen

I had mine a total of two weeks and this isue started occuring, the only fix was the tape over the sensor trick (lame). Luckily for my everyone here confirmed to me this is a real issue and HTC confirmed to me they are not really going to do anything about excpet ask you to update drivers, then ask you to pay to send them the headset to "repair" it. It only take 4-5 weeks though *pffft.

Anyways i had 30days to return it to the vendor, so again i was lucky. Ironically im looking into to just getting a Pro. So now im off to research if the Pro has any known or unofficially known issues and see if that is worth it.

 

Good luck everyone!

OcelotBaboe
New Arrival

Re: flashing grey screen

I have the same problem. I found out that the problem comes from the sensor, since I swapped them and found it out. In the same way after 20-30 minutes.

MartinMarty
Architect

Re: flashing grey screen


@Padinn wrote:

I've had this issue for a while and realized today covering that sensor with my hand fixes it. Seems most predominant in the corners...seems like a very bizarre issue, did they ever fix it? Mine was manufactured in October 2016 so its out of warranty, would need to pay for repair but don't want to waste $300 if it won't address it. I have consumer protection on my credit card and can file a claim with them.


They never fixed it. I ran with the taped-over sensor for like a year (you can go back in this thread and figure out exactly when I taped it) and just got used to it. It's really not an issue since eveything worked fine. The only possible downside might be if I tried to sell my HMD but who cares, the purpose of this thing was for me to have fun and I have and even though the workaround might look a little funny it is solid. FYI, my HMD was replaced way back when and the new one had the same problem.

MartinMarty
Architect

Re: flashing grey screen


@SlaveOne wrote:

I had mine a total of two weeks and this isue started occuring, the only fix was the tape over the sensor trick (lame). Luckily for my everyone here confirmed to me this is a real issue and HTC confirmed to me they are not really going to do anything about excpet ask you to update drivers, then ask you to pay to send them the headset to "repair" it. It only take 4-5 weeks though *pffft.

Anyways i had 30days to return it to the vendor, so again i was lucky. Ironically im looking into to just getting a Pro. So now im off to research if the Pro has any known or unofficially known issues and see if that is worth it.

 

Good luck everyone!


In spite of the problem in this thread, I bought the Pro because there is no substitute for the Vive's superior design as far as room-scale tracking is concerned.

 

I can tell you that I have not had this grey-out problem on the Pro. My only complaint has been that the sound is inferior to the original Vive + DAS. That is not to say that the sound sucks, but if you do VR that involves LOUD music and you compare them side-by-side, the Pro is a step backward and that is really unforgivable in my opinion. How can a company introduce a V2 product that is in any way inferior to their V1 product? Just stupid. Who does that? Maybe Windows Vista? "New" Coke? Anyway, I would think the Pro sounds good had I never heard the DAS.

 

In every other way I like my Pro except possibly the displayport cable required to run the new displays makes it impossible to extend the cable but I can get by OK in the room I have. If I was really going to do something that took advantage of the larger play area supported by the new base stations I would hope to have the HMD on wireless anyway.

AusTerran
New Arrival

Re: flashing grey screen

I have the grey screen problem that is similar what people have posted here.

 

I got the Vive in about May/June 2016 and had problems from the start (Got it straight from HTC), you move your head too fast, screen goes grey, look at your feet, same thing, turn around (Facing one station to the other) and inbetween the two station, the screen goes grey. The longer you play, the worse it gets.

We got use to when the screen goes grey, stay still for about 15 to 30 seconds to get the screen back to normal, or move outside of the play area.

 

When I first reported this problem, they said it was a lighthouse station problem and told me to post the back and they sent me a new set, it don't help and they told me to post them back too... Didn't solve the problem.

I then got ill for a year and put the vive away in that time (even with the kids nagging me to get it out lol).

So, last month after getting better, I got the Vive out! reinstalled everything, read that a USB 3.1 PCI Slot card could help, so got one... Sadly the same problem!

Then found this thread, tried the "Cover Sensor on HMD" trick one by one with my daughter as my guinea pig, but no luck. Moved the whole thing (Lucky I have the stations on telescopic sheet props) to an empty room in the dark! No change!

 

Note: It seems to take longer to go out of sync the longer you play from memory as it's cold (Winter here).

 

This thing is driving me nuts! I also love the Vive as does my kids (Even my wife, and she hates computers and games lol)

 

So is there anything else I can do? I know it's now out of warranty now sadly.

Or should I bite the bullet and get a Vive Pro

Jakstalgia
Contributor

Re: flashing grey screen

Can confirm that putting tape over a specific sensor works. It just baffles me that this still hasn't been fixed yet. Thanks to this thread we've bascially solved the issue for HTC and pin pointed the defect down to a specific sensor that causes issues with tracking when the HMD gets to a certain tempeture. Couldn't they just release a firmware patch that disables that sensor when the HMD gets to hot? Do they really just not care at all?

 

I orignally went with Vive over Oculus since I was under the assumption I'd get a more "premium expereince" due to the higher price point. But, that wasn't the case at all. Issues like this that go unsolved due to HTC just not caring and their horrendous tech support makes me really regret the purchase. Really wish I went with a Rift instead.

MartinMarty
Architect

Re: flashing grey screen

@Jakstalgia wrote:

Can confirm that putting tape over a specific sensor works. It just baffles me that this still hasn't been fixed yet. Thanks to this thread we've bascially solved the issue for HTC and pin pointed the defect down to a specific sensor that causes issues with tracking when the HMD gets to a certain tempeture. Couldn't they just release a firmware patch that disables that sensor when the HMD gets to hot? Do they really just not care at all?

 

I orignally went with Vive over Oculus since I was under the assumption I'd get a more "premium expereince" due to the higher price point. But, that wasn't the case at all. Issues like this that go unsolved due to HTC just not caring and their horrendous tech support makes me really regret the purchase. Really wish I went with a Rift instead.


I've been here basically since day 1 and I can't believe I am defending them,  but you are getting a premium experience. Nothing currently available beats the room scale tracking on the Vive, period. It is a superior design and all the sensors in the world won't make the Rift track as well. Most people prefer the Touch controllers but I never had a complaint about the Vive controllers, perhaps because they were the first ones I owned. If you wear glasses there are no two ways about it - Vive wins again.

 

I would love for manufacturers to behave the way I want but when it comes down to it, I really don't care if the fix looks as dopey as a piece of tape on an expensive HMD or if it comes from some yahoo on a support forum instead of the factory representative that should be solving the problem, as long as it is solved. I have enjoyed uninterrupted VR since I taped my HMD and it has been a long time. So long that I replaced it with the Vive Pro, which does not have the same problem. It does however have an audio inferiority problem that seems like it should be a simple software fix but once again, the Vive people do not lift one finger to help their customers. They do not even acknowledge the problem.

CupOfTea
Contributor

Re: flashing grey screen

Had my Vive for a bit over a year been flashing for a week of so.  So far I havent been able to make the flashing stop by covering the sensors.  Ug!    Had both controllers replaced with the touchpad fault and one of them is going dead on the right again.  

 

Sure when they work they are great....   for me that hasn't been often!