Community Announcements
Got a new Deluxe Audio Strap? Here's how to attach it. Questions on Viveport Subscription? FAQS are here.

flashing grey screen

Builder

Re: flashing grey screen

I also think that the idea with a teamviewer is good. Dear HTC, could you connect to our PC and get data for analys of issue?

Highlighted
Community

Aidarpro wrote:

I also think that the idea with a teamviewer is good. Dear HTC, could you connect to our PC and get data for analys of issue?

@Aidarpro, please see @jagibson's response above. We may get down to the level of using Teamviewer but having the information we're asking for from everyone will let us create a baseline of understanding, rather than looking at everyone's individual cases.

Builder

@shenjo,

In a matter of fact I did get my AC like a week ago, but honestly I didn't had the time nor the mood to unbox the Vive and give it a try, Since I have a lot of work lately and reading somewhere that the AC had solved the problem for some time only .... you get where I'm going. But soon I will try it as well. 

@jagibson,

Tomorrow I will provide you with all the information you need. 

Builder

HTC, I'm glad you in business. I'm going to give you all the information on weekend. Now I'm in business trip.
Builder

Today I will tring to make report for all position of your list.
I like that conversation on this way.

Builder

[ Edited ]

If you don't understand my text, plaease ask.

HMD Serial and date of purchase:
S/N: FA6ANJJ01123 2016/10

Grey Screen: does it flicker or stay solid grey?

The first 20-40 minutes all works fine. Then gray flashes appear when HMD directed to certain side. If I keep watching to “certain side” it will be stay solid grey. If I turn quick my head (HMD) through “certain side” then it will be flick for a littlebit time.

When problem began (more or less):
From the date of purchase (25.05.2017)

Your location:
At home. Almaty city, Kazakhstan.

OS Version:
Windows 10 pro
Version 1703 Buit 15063.332

Computer Make/Model or Motherboard if homebuilt:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H
CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i7-4770K, 3900 MHz (39 x 100)

RAM:
16 Gb

Networking or other cards plugged in to motherboard:
Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V

Graphics Card:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (driver nVIDIA ForceWare 382.53)

General Computing Environment and Set up:
One monitor by DVI, usb mouse, usb keyboard, usb headphone

Steam Version:
public release (I used BETA version for try to solve issue)

VR Home Beta enabled/disabled:
disabled

Viveport installed/not installed:
Not installed

Oculus or revive or other VR environment installed:
Now Oculus and revive was installed, but I tested without Oculus or revive – doesn’t help.

Photo of the room your vive is in:

views from both lighthouses:

*Objects marked in blue on the pictures were covered while using the Vive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGSZZK5cnFc

If you have additional qustions - welcome.

I have flashing grey screen. This is starting past 20-40 minutes from turn on steamVR. Google translate: I have problems with the loss of carina (the helmet screens become gray). The first 20-40 minutes all works fine, and then gray flashes start, exactly when you look in a certain direction from
Settler

I haven't been as active on this thread recently as the problem seems to have gone away. I have changed nothing but I am able to play for longer periods of time. In fact, I am able to play until I want to stop. 

This has really baffled me as I have done absolutely nothing different since my last post here apart from go to work on Monday and not be able to play it until 6pm. I think the Vive just didn't want me to enjoy my weekend. I think I scared it into behaving as I was on live chat with support and it just wouldn't grey flash for me to be able to produce a report for the guy I was chatting with. 

I'll still look to fill out a response to the HTC post as I'm doubtful as to whether this "fix" is long term... I'm really not sure what went on. 

Builder

I changed my GPU from 1070 to 1080 ti , i reinstalled new vertion of GPU drivers. On this sunday i'm going to try play.
Architect

Hi JustJabba.
Just curious if SteamVR did a update just before everything started to work all of a sudden, I know there was a update a few days ago, I just can't remember which day it was. The Vive's performance seems to be very much dependent on SteamVR and if they introduce new bugs while fixing others with each update. With all the different computer hardware out there, nailing it so everything works with all that hardware must be a exercise in frustration. I know some SteamVR releases had given me random problems but everything was fine with the next release.
Regards: Jack
Builder

[ Edited ]

If you don't understand my text, plaease ask.

HMD Serial and date of purchase:

S/N: FA6ANJJ01123 2016/10

Grey Screen: does  it flicker or stay solid grey?

The first 20-40 minutes all works fine, and then appear grey flashing when HMD directed to certain side. If I keep watching to “certain side” it will be stay solid grey. If I turn quick my head (HMD) through  “certain side” then it will be flick for a littlebit time.

When problem began (more or less):

From the date of purchase (25.05.2017)

Your location:

At home. Almaty city, Kazakhstan.

OS Version:

Windows 10 pro

Version 1703 Buit 15063.332

Computer Make/Model or Motherboard if homebuilt:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD3H

CPU: QuadCore Intel Core i7-4770K, 3900 MHz (39 x 100)

RAM:

16 Gb

Networking or other cards plugged in to motherboard:

Intel(R) Ethernet Connection I217-V

Graphics Card:

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (driver nVIDIA ForceWare 382.53)

General Computing Environment and Set up:

One monitor by DVI, usb mouse, usb keyboard, usb headphone

Steam Version:

public release (I used BETA version for try to solve issue)

VR Home Beta enabled/disabled:

disabled

Viveport installed/not installed:

Not installed

Oculus or revive or other VR environment installed:

Now Oculus and revive was installed, but I tested without Oculus or revive – doesn’t help.

Photo of the room:

views from both lighthouses:

*Objects marked in blue on the pictures were covered while using the Vive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGSZZK5cnFc

I have flashing grey screen. This is starting past 20-40 minutes from turn on steamVR. Google translate: I have problems with the loss of carina (the helmet screens become gray). The first 20-40 minutes all works fine, and then gray flashes start, exactly when you look in a certain direction from
Settler

Hey Jack, 

Now that you say that, I think there was a download. My partner did say that he saw some update when he played it on, I believe, Monday. This is when the Vive started working fine. 

I checked the news on the SteamVR app and there wasn't anything released so if there was an update it wasn't documented. 

It does coincide with my belief that it comes down to firmware and software. I checked the post on the last community announcement and have seen a few people complaining about tracking and shakiness. 

I understand the aggravation about software. So many different variables that you can't test for. Unfortunately, this testing does come down to the users and it is up to us to try and diagnose as much as we can. But, this is what I love about adopting new technology. 

Builder

Why my message was deleted?
Settler

If you upgrade your firmware for your lighhouses, would that solve your problem? 

Settler

@MartinMarty Use your android phone(if you have one) and take a photo of your lighthouse. 

Check if you have 17 lights. 

http://imgur.com/a/TCk0I

Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet.
Builder

How many lights were before upgrading?