Community Announcements
Got a new Deluxe Audio Strap? Here's how to attach it. Questions on Viveport Subscription? FAQS are here.

flashing grey screen

Settler

Re: flashing grey screen

Well folks, I am happy to say, I finally figured out and fixed my issue!!!  I have been playing for the past 4-6 hours without any gray flashes!

After finally getting in touch with someone in Vive support via the Live Chat option, they confirmed my suspicion that the controllers MUST STAY ON in order for the HMD to continue tracking correctly.

This is NOT the Disable Power Management option in the SteamVR settings, but rather the controller settings inside the Steam settings (not SteamVR).

So though I am getting my joystick handed to me in Elite: Dangerous, and my controllers are now sucking up their batteries, I am now a MUCH happier camper.

Here's hoping this bit of insight manages to help someone else!

Cheers!

Elohir

Contributor

After a month of testing Project Cars about 2 hours every day, I've finally determined that my problem, and likely most of yours, is an overheating headset.

I tried nearly every troubleshooting suggestion on this forum and r/Vive at reddit. For the past few days, I've been playing until the flashes were very frequent. Then, I tried to make them stop flashing. The one thing that worked 100% of the time was to point a fan at the front of the headset. Immediately, the flashing stopped. When I pointed the fan away (still running and plugged into the same outlet), the flashing screens came back within a few minutes.

Tonight, I raced for about 3 hours (two 1.5 hour sessions about an hour apart) with the fan. Not a single grey flash!

I know most of us have suspected an overheating problem from the beginning. Some have confirmed this by applying ice packs or putting it in front of an air conditioner. I feel like I've wasted a lot of time testing things other than the most likely cause. I also feel we were misled by HTC staff on this forum saying they didn't think it was a thermal issue.

So, I'm done being suspicious of RF interferrence, or USB 3 vs USB 2, or faulty lighthouses, or reflections, or bad video/USB drivers. For those of you, like me, that have flawless tracking for 20+ minutes, followed by grey flashes that get progressively more frequent, try cooling the front of the headset.

Settler

@Elohirr

Thanks for the advice, but I think yours is a different kind of problem. I don't own the Thrustmaster HOTAS 4, I use almost always the controllers and the flashing gray screen problem is a constant, but also when I use the joypad and I leave the controllers off, the behavior is exactly the same.

Settler

@kimorra

I confirm that cooling the HMD with a fan temporarily stops the problem but at the moment the most effective way to prevent the flashing gray screen from appearing is to cover one of the sensors. In my case the one at the bottom right, next to the camera.

Highlighted
Builder

I confirm with TheLuk. HTC is keep silent. Htc can you take our hmd and replace these senors?
Vive Staff

All, 

I'm sorry for the delay, I'm still waiting for feedback.  Some HMDs have been sent and others are in transit for testing/inspection.  As soon as I get more substantial updates I will post.

Thank you,

John

Contributor

Mine is having the same issues. Bought it on July 19, 2017; and I've been getting these same issues.

Very annoying and embarrasing when trying to stream gameplay to friends and viewers, and I feel like a goof hyping this technology up just to have people watch me on Twitch tinkering with a grey screen for hours on end.

I've gotten rid of all reflection, gotten the PCI-E card recommended by Valve support, gone through all the USB/Drivers available, updated all firmware, reseated cables, moved my basestations, and more already. 

I also think mine may be a heat issue, as when I cover some of the sensors with my hands it seems to work fine; but this is not a real fix as I need my hands to play!.. My last resort may be to use a piece of paper and tape to cover one of the sensors permanently, but I am worried it may make it worse. 

https://www.twitch.tv/vradley
Constructor

I was happy my Vive responded to the workaround of taping over a sensor. I ran that way of r a few weeks, I think, and all that happened was I enjoyed VR like I did at the beginning. I would have continued to run that way indefinitely had HTC not asked for my HMD to test.

So now they have my grey-out HMD and I have a replacement. It has been working fine but I did't have problems with my original for a few months.

I still have to put my base station back to its original location to complete my test.

Architect

So Guess what im now getting the grey Screen Issues. 
i have changed the 3in1 cable, 
moved the sensors reinstalled the set up. 
using the sync cable incase the 3in 1 hanging from the celing gets in the way. 
In a totally Black room no sunlight ever enters. only reflective surface is the TV and thats covered up when playing 
i have found that the problem only happen after about 30min into a game.

I was playing Rez the other day and that game you hardly move after 30mins the screen starts to flash grey etc.  35 mins into this video this is what happens.
https://www.facebook.com/Helixxvr/videos/1057452014390097/

Now i dont really want to read through 20pages of posts is there an answer to this problem yet?

Se7enVR
-Is it Real or Just VR? not a question just a Signature
Helixx VR. 643 likes · 259 talking about this. Helixx VR is a Virtual Reality Television Show and Website. Our aim is to help promote VR in an entertaining way.
Builder

I bought in May 2017 the flagship of VR HTC Vive for 1200 USA dollars and PC for 1500 USA dollars. When HTC solves the problem, how much will cost my Vive.

I can't use Vive now (i don't want play for 20 minutes).

"Time is money"!

Constructor

[ Edited ]

Se7en11 wrote:

Now i dont really want to read through 20pages of posts is there an answer to this problem yet?

Hi @Se7en11, no permanent solution or definitive explanation from HTC yet. However, for me and a few others, a very easy and totally effective workaround has been to cover up one of the IR sensors on the HMD. For me it was the one approximately level with and to the right of the camera.

When the grey-out is happening full force, move your hands around the front of the HMD to cover the various sensors. Hopefully when you get the correct one, the problem will clear up. Once I identified the sensor, I used post-it sticky and electrical tape to cover the sensor.

I know at least two of us had the same sensor as the issue.

I ran for weeks that way with no problem. Now HTC has swapped out my HMD so I'm cured again for the moment but I see no reason the problem couldn't happen again until they figure out what the problem actually is and a fix for it.

Some people believe it is caused by heat and have applied cooling to the front of the HMD to remedy the problem (cool packs or fans).

Good luck.

Architect

Thanks @MartinMarty i will try that later today. 
I did see the post about the heat and i tend to think that is the problem for me so last night i tried a little experiment and moved in an  industrial fan in front of me to blow on the head set as i played. 
i managed to get about 1hour 30 before it started to grey a little. 
What i did notice was if i moved away from the fan it happened. 
I will try the same game tonight minus the fan and see the results. 
But will also try the sensor thing as well.

Se7enVR
Contributor

I ended up covering the front left sensor next to the camera today, and it fixed my grey issues as well. Only seems to happen without that sensor covered after 30 minutes of gameplay or less if I'm playing a demanding game. 

I guess this will do for now! 

https://www.twitch.tv/vradley
Architect

VRadley wrote:

I ended up covering the front left sensor next to the camera today, and it fixed my grey issues as well. Only seems to happen without that sensor covered after 30 minutes of gameplay or less if I'm playing a demanding game. 

I guess this will do for now! 

Thats why i love this group its full of helpful info thankyou @VRadley

Se7enVR
Explorer

I want to add that the sensor-covering workaround is not 100% reliable. It's up to how many sensors start malfunctioning in the headset. If it is more than one sensor failing (as in many cases), the problem will happen even with one or two sensors covered, it will just take more time to appear.