Wireless adapter incompatible with RYZEN cpus

colonelpanicked
Settler

Re: Wireless adapter incompatible with RYZEN cpus

nw15062 is on to something (for me). Disable "Super I/O Clock Skew" and put the WiGig card in a PCI slot you can explicitly set to X1 bandwidth, Gen 3 mode. I haven't verified that each of these steps is necessary, but I shotgunned all three changes to my system and everything works now (editSmiley Happy it becomes playable. It still BSODs.

Here's the message I sent to support today:

Spoiler

I'm deviating a bit from the instructions because I believe it's been fixed (I've gotten in an hour of play time with several games and no issues). 

Previously, the WiGig card was plugged into the slot PCIEX1_1 on the Asus ROG Crosshair 6 Hero, nearest to the CPU:
asus-c6h.png

This seemed to be in accordance with the suggestion in the manual. I left the BIOS untouched. This resulted in crashing at various times -- sometimes right when starting SteamVR, other times at the beginning of games, other times 10 minutes in.

Earlier today, Reddit user u/nw15062 made this suggestion to me:

"Explicitly assign the pcie slot to 1x mode and disable super I/o skewing in the bios under advanced> onboard device configuration."

I moved the card to PCIEX4_3, which I then manually assigned to X1 bandwidth and GEN3 mode, and disabled Super I/O Clock Skew. Now I'm up and running. I would like to test these variables independently -- I wonder if the clock skew disable is enough to fix it since the DPC Watchdog Violation is, in general, a timeout error. 

Mentalunicorn
Pioneer

Youre def onto something there, sad thing for me is that my bios doesnt have anyway to manually assign individual slots to anything

spider2465
New Arrival

Same thing with mine. I don't have anyway to manually assign individual slots to anything either. I have a asus tuf b350m-plus gaming.

Pyrostasis
Explorer

My MSIC X399 gaming pro carbon mobo will let me assign but tweaking anything in there seems to keep it from posting.

I also dont have the option for 1x only 4, 8, 16 depending on the slots. Tried setting all to 4x with the exception of the GPU and it wont post so thinking thats not the solution.

DAlek5961
Settler

Stop code: DCP_WATCHCODE_VIOLATION

Sometimes just a freeze without BSOD

Ryzen 7 2700x

32GB Trident Z RGB

Gigabyte X470 Aorus 7 Wifi Revision 1 Motherboard BIOS ver F4

EVGA 1070 SC

AsRock Rx 580 8GB 

[GTX Card was card for gaming monitor and VR when wired, Rx card is for my spare monitors, needed ports and VRAM]

XPG 960 NVMe SSD 3x4

Fresh install of windows 10 64bit build 1803 updated.

All overclocks were removed and bios settings were reset to defaults. 

Crashes occur regardless of the GPU config, I have tried removing one, and then using the other. Doing multimonitor accross both, multimonitor on a single card, or single monitor on a single card. It seems that it prolongs uptime but I eventually crash. If I have the headset connected without steam VR open, it takes longer to crash, but eventually still does.

Deezcookies
Contributor

Adding my setup:

Motherboard: Gigabyte ax370 Gaming K7

CPU: Ryzen 1700x

RAM: Trident Z RGB 16gb cl14

GPU: Gigabyte Vega 64 8GB

SSD: Crucial Nvme 500gb

Capture Card: Avermedia Live Gamer HD 2

Tried all PCI-E slots. When the computer doesnt hard lock, it gives BSOD, same DPC Watchdog Violation as previous posters.

The Double Pipe Classic
Contributor

Same issues as most here. In general I can get the wireless adapter to work for 5-10 mins before either A) getting a blue screen that lasts for a few seconds then the game comes back or B) gettting a blue screen that completely locks up my pc and requires a hard restart. When it is working the image is laggy, compressed and pixelated and makes me really nauseous. Spoke with customer service last night and they said no eta on a fix so I just switched back to the wire last bc the adapter renders the system pretty much unplayable.

Spec:

• AMD Ryzen 7 1700 8-Core Processor 3.0GHz
  • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5
  • 16GB DDR4-2133 RAM
  • Asus Prime B350-PLUS MOBO
  • Wireless link card installed in PCIEx1 slot

colonelpanicked
Settler

Just as a quick update:

In addition to setting the PCI slots to explicit 1X / Gen3, I have clocked the CPU down to 3.5Ghz and the RAM to 2400Mhz. In this configuration, I can't get it to crash.

That's unfortunate some mobos don't have the option to explicitly set those speeds on PCI slots. C6H is X370.

Mentalunicorn
Pioneer

Welp I cannot believe that theres still nothing official on this its been over a week since launch. Absolutely pathetic. 

JetForMe
Settler

I just got my Vive Wireless adapter today and just set it up. I also have a Ryzen CPU. I don't get the BSOD, but Beat Saber just freezes partway through a song. The PC screen is okay, but the Vive Pro HMD just goes gray or black. I don't seem to be able to ctrl-alt-del or anything, have to reboot the PC. Is this the same problem? Pretty gorram frustrating.

BigBools72
New Arrival

Hi are you saying you are getting bsod, crashes with your setup it is it working?

I have a similar set up to you and my Wireless adapter comes on Monday 8th October
Mentalunicorn
Pioneer

If you have a AMD Ryzen CPU you will not be able to use the Wireless adapter for the time being. It will hardlock and blue screen your computer within 10 minutes of usage.
GlueBreatg
Settler

You guys are making assumptions that all ryzen systems are affected.. I have a 2700x and have zero issues.. I have played over 2- 3 hours of each of the following games since monday : The lab, gorn, super hot VR, space pirate trainer, Arizona sunshine, pavlov, beat saber and budget cuts.

The only real issue I'm having is the included battery pack charges hella slow even on a QC charger.. I'm gonna continue my testing later and will report if I encounter any ACTUAL problems.

My specs -
CPU : ryzen 2700x
Ram : 16GB gskill tridentz rgb 3200mhz cl14
Mobo: Asus rog strix x470
GFX card : zotac GTX 1060 6GB
Boot drive: 500GB Samsung m.2 SSD
epsilon748
Settler

Agreed, I put my notes back on page 2 and it's running great on my Threadripper 1950x with the card installed in the second PCI-E x16 slot on my motherboard (running at x8). Motherboard is Gigabyte x399 Aorus Xtreme, never had any issues but I saw this popping up on reddit for others.

Deezcookies
Contributor

Hey epsilon and glue, I’m curious. Did you guys set up steamvr, do the room calibration and set up lighthouses etc before the wireless app was ever installed? I’m wondering if all that should be done normally and if it’s not that maybe it’s causing a driver conflict? I still can’t get it to not BSOD on my system