Vive Pro audio quality

Angelus
Pioneer

Re: Vive Pro audio quality

@lorgar wrote:

I was able to get major improvement using: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FR795WA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In my case, the speakers were not getting enough power. It now sounds as good as the dulux audio strap....maybe a bit better. It also solved the issues I had with tracking.

I am not giving HTC a pass on this though. This is still crazy sloppy and should have been caught during testing.

I can confirm the vive pro  doesn't have enough power to drive those speakers....

I was able to get major improvement by connecting vive pro - sp1000 DAC - custom earbud lol

IMG_3658.jpg

Sephirothcat
Contributor

I am curious to see what Vive engineers have to say about this. I been following this thread for a while as I also have had issues and tried the fixes. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that there is something wrong at the hardware level.
Drakke01
New Arrival

Edit: Disregard, changed USB ports, reinstalled drivers, and rebooted PC and it seems to have resolved the issue.

Ziyadah
Contributor

It's definitely not a hardware issue.  I posted a new thread before I noticed this one, but it's something in the DSP for the Vive Pro.  Installing a third party equalizer provided plenty of bass, although that introduces compression issues like any third party equalizer will.  

JustRocks
New Arrival

Yeh Its true the audio qutily get affected by using different sound cables

VirtualBoy
Contributor

I just picked up a Vive Pro, so it might be a newer revision. I can tell you that when the sound driver actually works, the headphones are unquestionably of superior quality to the DAS, and similar max volume levels, so it is not a hardware problem (at least for my revision). I am an audiophile and sound engineer, and I own $5,000+ headphone/amp combos, so I understand good sound. The dynamic range is much wider on these headphones than the DAS, and the bass goes much deeper and cleaner (which can be enjoyed assuming proper positioning of the ear cups).

That being said, the drivers and/or DAC are absolute garbage on the Pro, and I have problems at least 50% of the time with the bitrate dropping dramatically (what people refer to as "crackling"), and sometimes the audio driver just cutting out completely and switching to a different device altogether, requiring a restart. 

Lestaticon
Pioneer

In continuation of the distorted audio issue for the displayport, onboard Vive audio device, I recently came across a tip on reddit that actually solved this issue in a satisfactory way. I no longer need to rely on the Nvidia audio device, nor have to deal with its shortcomings (the fact the Nvidia device is constantly disappearing, for example). Now I am able to use the DP "Vive Pro Mutimedia" device without any corruption or distortion.  

Here is a link to the reddit thread. Please also see my comment on that thread for further tips. Maybe it will help you. 

SteveCole
Explorer

I've read all of this thread and tried everything plus hours of searching on net to figure out a way. Any update on fixing Vive Pro audio?

I don't have distorted or tinny audio. The volume is just way too low and there's no bass. Any ETA or update? This is sound quality is totally awful.

I've tried the camera on/off bug, updated every driver, software, tinkerer for hours with Windows sound properties...but nothing increases the volume or provides acceptable bass.
Lestaticon
Pioneer

@SteveCole I don't think there is anything else you can do with software to address that. Since you have gone through this thread, you may have guessed that the bass/volume may be an egineering flaw. The pressure of the earcups on your ears may not be sufficient. 

What I and others have done is get some addon clamp/springs installed, designed by @PanFX. You can download the 3d printable design. See here.

If you need someone to print it, go to 3dhubs.com and submit the design there. I got mine printed there for less than $13, shipped. It solved the issue for me, confirming that this is a hardware design flaw. 

Hope it helps.

SteveCole
Explorer

Thanks Lestaticon for the suggestion. I appreciate it. I'll definitely give it a try. Though I kinda briefly checked pressing the headphones on my ears for improvement as I had read about it here; it does make a difference for sure, but nowhere near DAS or no where near satisfactory. My cheapest headphones sounded better than this. It amazes me how this was marketed with the product launch and not a single person at HTC checked it out before release.

Lestaticon
Pioneer

Oh, now that doesn't sound good (pun not intended). I feel these headphones have a wider sound stage than the DAS set. I wonder if that's part of the trouble. They are less heavy bass, but a larger sound stage and very precise sounds. I also notice you need to get them right over your ears and siting flat against them. They sound very high end to me, but less bass than DAS.