Shaking image in HMD

Vive Staff

Re: Shaking image in HMD

@3DA @justintd

Those are both worth a try, though I've never personally seen the shudders caused by the type of USB port, it'd be interesting to see if that was somehow the cause. (I can't imagine how, since the base stations aren't actually using USB, but...)

Thank you,

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support on vive.com and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

Vive Care Operating Hours: 9am to 6pm PST, M-F
justintd
Pioneer

Synthesis, I haven't tried taking them down and putting them on a solid surface like a desk yet. I tried them on tripods, and that didn't help. It made it worse.

3DA, I've tried the base stations at multiple angles and positions. Video shoot vibrations? I don't know what you mean. You can only tell they're vibrating if you touch them. Yes, SteamVR is updated. I'm not on the beta. I know I still shake a little bit, but the image shakes independent of that. It does not match my own movements. When I'm in the center, this is most visible. I already tried USB 2.0 and 3.0 on two different PCs. No difference.

justintd
Pioneer

Look here: http://doc-ok.org/?p=1478

Read the "Residual Noise and Tracking Jitter" part and watch the video. That's what I'm experiencing. He only has his base stations 4m apart.

Vive Staff

@justintd

Thanks for the video. It's true that the base stations do vibrate slightly, but it shouldn't be enough to cause this to happen on it's own. That's why I was hoping you'd have a stable surface to place them on to test. If it's still shaking even when you've ruled out the mounts as the problem, then we'll have some new options.

Thank you,

-John C

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support on vive.com and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

justintd
Pioneer

Synthesis/John, I just tried the base stations sitting on solid surfaces roughly the same distance as the mounts are from each other, and it was the same issue (obvious jitter of close up objects). Sync cable is always used. I re-did room setup too. Will covering or painting white walls/ceilings help?
Vive Staff

Weird question: have you tried blocking the ceiling lights? I'm wondering if those 'buckets' could be causing a problem.

Thanks,

-John C

justintd
Pioneer

Yep, they've been blocked for months now. I put heavy duty paper discs in there to cover the bulbs because laser light would reflect off the bulbs. I covered every hinge, door knob, door stop (masking tape), outlet cover (matte paint), etc.
justintd
Pioneer

I just moved the base stations closer together and on the ground, and there was less jitter. Being this close isn't an option though.
https://imgur.com/gallery/9lxka
Vive Staff

@justintd

Any chance that seat is made of metal? Maybe it's reflecting as well?

Thanks,

-John C

justintd
Pioneer

I moved it there within the past month. No difference. This has been an issue since 2016. Is there a log to which you can direct me.
Vive Staff

You can view the log under SteamVR, by opening the drop-down menu on the dashboard and selecting "Create System Report"

If you PM me, I'll send you an email address you can attach it to.

Thanks!

-John C