Playing Viveport apps through Non-Steam Game Import

coachkalk
Settler

Playing Viveport apps through Non-Steam Game Import

@ddblue0 - I copied your info from a different thread below

Couple extra bits of info though, 
-I tried to add the purchased game to my Steam library as a non-Steam game, but the games would not launch (well technically they launched, but only showed up on my Desktop as a mirror, and not in my HMD, which was perpetually stuck in the loading area)
-The way to make it work for me involved me starting Vive Home first, then the Vive Desktop App, then clicking Open on the game. 

I noticed on the Viveport FAQ page it mentioned you must be online to use viveport - Ugh!  Do you run your VR online?  I do not have a good connection where my setup is, so I have to check for updates every few days by moving my PC to a better location.  Not being online prevents me from opening Vive Home. 

Before I tried viveport, running Steam in offline mode has worked flawlessly.  I was hoping once I imported the apps to steam they would run offline as well.  I tried your methods mentioned above and could only get one app, The Body, to open and run.  Then, my rig shutdown/restarted and I was logged out of my steam account.  Strange stuff for sure.

Hopefully changes are coming to allow apps to run correctly through the steam import, otherwise I just donated a few more dollars to VR because they do not refund either.

Community

Re: Playing Viveport apps through Non-Steam Game Import

Hi @coachkalk,

I noticed on the Viveport FAQ page it mentioned you must be online to use viveport - Ugh!  Do you run your VR online?  I do not have a good connection where my setup is, so I have to check for updates every few days by moving my PC to a better location.  Not being online prevents me from opening Vive Home. 

I'm sorry, I can see what an annoyance that would be in your situation. I'll see what I can do to make this more clear, and pass on the feedback in the hopes we can get a proper offline mode added.

I can't give you a timescale on any potential 'offline' mode, but given your situation, I feel confident you could get a refund if you wished as essentially, you can't get your purchases to work. Contact Customer Care, and send me a PM with your ticket/case number if you have no joy.

Neutral
Explorer

Hi there, 

I've been pulling my hair out tring to understand why my viveport apps/games are not loading into vr mode through the headset. I've tried loading it as administrator as well as loading it with and without steam.  When I open it I can hear the audio but the app only loads in desktop.  Please help me.

Calcanuck
New Arrival

I have the same problem.  The Viveport apps are located in a subfolder of ProgramData, which is a strange location indeed.  Even worse, the games/apps do not have a clearly accessible ".exe" file to link to Steam.  It's almost as if Vive wants to HIDE the startup!  Very inconvenient.