a week ago - last edited Wednesday
So 8 hours into troubleshooting on my own I've tried every suggestion I could find, but none of them seem to work. I've tried unplugging and replugging everything into every USB port, 2.0 and 3.0, reinstalling SteamVR, installing SteamVR beta, powercycling, rebooting, repeat all ad nausum.
Some random info:
USBDeview shows the following:
I would like to know what USBDeview is supposed to look like in a working scenario and how it differs from my broken case.
Windows device viewer shows:
Is it normal that it shows a number of "generic superspeed" entries? Why doesn't each entry have a more clear description?
SteamVR usb overview shows:
I've never seen any of the other options activated.
Does anyone have any suggestions left? I'm at my wits end by now.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Wednesday - last edited Wednesday
Okay, so further steps I've undertaken, none of which have resulted in a fix.
The store I bought the unit from has a demo unit, and I've taken some pictures from their setup, to have something to compare all of this too. Theirs works. Differences I've noticed in their setup are for example in the report overview. The screenshot below shows their report vs mine. I remember from the USBDeview support page you're supposed to uninstall devices 0BB4 and 28DE, but I never could find the 28DE drivers on my system, which is part of the problem I expect. On my system, he only installs (part of) the 0BB4 drivers and not the 28DE ones. See screenshot.
Another difference I've noticed is in the Devices tab in the report. Mine is just blank, it doesn't show any info. And when I copy that blank information to the clipboard, I notice that the Devices tag is blank. It differes from their system. See the screenshot below.
Another difference is in the USB settings view. Theirs has slightly more info in the description.
So..... what does any of this mean? Is it a driver install issue? How does the driver install work? I'm not an expert on the subject. Are the drivers downloaded from the link box, telling Windows how it wants to be installed? If so, does the link box need a firmware update? Would it be helpful to receive a driver download package from Valve or HTC?
Hope all of this info ends up being useful. I'll keep on fiddling and adding any findings...
Further research yields the following info: the Oculus compatibility check tool also finds some USB problems, as demonstrated in the screenshot below.
Now I know I have a Vive Pro, and this may not be entirely relevant, but I did learn that there seem to be problems with ASUS motherboards, which I have (Z370-P), because they might have ASMedia USB controllers (which I don't have). Apperantly both Vive and Oculus prefer Fresco USB controllers. The warning from this tool may because of the PCI-E card I just bought, or maybe because of motherboard. I don't know for sure and I'm too tired to open my case and unplug the PCI card. This is the support page I got this info from.
I tried download the Intel driver and support assistant installer to check if my system didn't need any kind of weird missing updates, but it didn't find anything.
The VIA USB 3.0 error message did lead me to some Microsoft support page, suggesting to use the Windows DISM program (Deployment Image Servicing and Management Tool) to check if there's some kind of problem with Windows, but that also hasn't yielded anything worthwhile.
This reddit thread suggests further info on compatiblity issues with specific USB controllers and although it's also for Oculus, it may be relevant for the Vive Pro since they recommend the Inatec PCI-E USB card specifically, and as far as I understand, that's a Fresco controller card as well.
Wednesday - last edited Wednesday
Thank you for posting such detailed troubleshooting reports. I think I have a potential solution for your unique case. I'm PMing you with further instructions.
Just checking. Do you happen to have any internatinal char in your account name? If you have international char like special characters , try re-create an user account with English only.
Okay guys, I figured out what the problem was: the link box was broken. Here's how I know for sure.
I went to the store and tested my link box and Vive Pro on their working system. We uninstalled the drivers before connecting my hardware, and their system installed the drivers the wrong way, just like on my system.
We then uninstalled the drivers again and connected my cables, my Vive Pro, but their link box, and behold: everything installed correctly. We solved the problem by giving me a different link box. It now works on my home system and saw the Steam VR room for the first time!
So before you troubleshoot as much as I do, make sure the hardware is working! Here's how you can tell your link box is working as it should. When Windows starts installing the drivers, it should install (and finish) the following set of drivers:
When you have a broken link box, Windows will only install 1 driver:
Everything else just didn't install.
This solves it! I hope all my research will end up useful for others with similar problems. Thanks for chiming in, those who did.