Everest VR download problem

andynz
Settler

Everest VR download problem

I've tried many times to download Everest VR, without success. I keep getting an 'Internal Error' after a variable amount of time. The most annoying in thing is that Viveport will not continue where it left off.

When clicking on retry it deletes the app folder and starts again from o%.

So I went into 'Report Issue', clicked on 'Download Issues' and 'will not download option'.

Made sure that Windows Firewall and Real-Time Protection were turned off.

It then started downloading, and (after about 15 hours on my slow connection), it completed, all 1313 files, 12037MB.

I then expected it to be available to run in the library, but no!

It is still showing the download option.

If you click on that, it wipes the entire folder in ProgramData/HTC/ViveApps.

Fortunately I made a backup of the folder, so I could restore it.

This title was part of a game bundle that came with my Vive headset.

There seems to be a couple of issues here:

1) Why doesn't Viveport allow resuming of downloads?

2) When manually downloading a title, why doesn't Viveport then update the library accordingly, so that it can be run?

Does anyone here know of a way to manually add this completed download to the library, e.g. by editing a config file?

As far as the Viveport library is concerned, I haven't downloaded this title (even though all files are there).

Appreciate any help here.

Vive Staff

Re: Everest VR download problem

@andynz

I'm wondering if it's anti-virus or security software being overly aggressive. (I know you mentioned that, but double check that you don't have additional security software.) If you have any of that, try whitelisting or temporarily disabling it and try the installation again. Make sure you are running as an Administrator as well.

Thanks,

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

Vive Care Operating Hours: 9am to 6pm PST, M-F
andynz
Settler

Thanks for that.

I don't have any anti-virus software on the pc in question, only Windows firewall and real-time protection.

I disabled both, which seemed to be the only way to get this title to download.

I have not had to do this for anything else. I managed to download First Person Tennis, Google Earth, Lunar Flight and others without these problems. However, these are all smaller (in total files size) - not sure if that is relevant. Have never had any of these problems in Steam VR.

I would still like to know why, after downloading all the files successfully (in the Report Issue section), the title cannot be run, and in the library it is still asking me to retry/download it (from the beginning).

If I run a troubleshooting check on this title, it confirms that all files are there and complete.

Thanks,

Andy

Vive Staff

@andynz

Have you tried redownloading and installing the Vive software? It's very strange that only one game won't download properly.

Thanks,

-John C

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

andynz
Settler

Hi John,

I haven't tried that.

Do I need to uninstall first?

Presumably all games will be left intact.

Thanks,

Andy

Vive Staff

@andynz

You shouldn't lose any progress or games, but you will need to redownload them.

Thanks,

-John C

andynz
Settler

That's a pain, having to redownload everything.

I don't have a fast connection, and have limited data allowance.

Seems an inefficient way of doing things, i.e. re-downloading all the titles that are working perfectly.

The Vive/Viveport software could do with some recoding.

With Steam you don't have to do this, you just move your steamapps to a safe place, uninstall/reinstall Steam and move the contents of your apps to the correct folder.

Why can't Viveport work this way?

Thanks,

Andy

Vive Staff

@andynz

You can do that with Viveport too and depending on how many games you have, you should. I was recommending a reinstall just to try to isolate the problem. We also have a new version of Viveport out today, so you might want to update as well.

Thank you,

-John C

andynz
Settler

Thank you for that.

The Viveport update looks like a step in the right direction.

Will try the update, and perhaps a fresh install if that doesn't help with this title.

One thing I have never done is run Vive software as an administrator (though as a user I do have administrator privileges).  This has never been a problem so far, but may worth trying, to see if Viveport will recognise and include this title in the library.

Thanks,

Andy

Vive Staff

@andynz

Any time you're working with software that downloads or installs data, you should always run as Administrator so the software has permission to make changes to the disk.

Thanks,

-John C

andynz
Settler

I've updated to the latest Viveport, ran it as administrator.

Disabled Windows Firewall & Real-Time Protection.

Starting downloading Everest VR.

All seemed to be going well, but at 17% I got the usual Internal Error.

Retry starts from 0% (as always).

Guess this title is never going to work for me, even though I actually have all the files downloaded.

Maybe a future Vive update will fix this issue, i.e. so that it will scan all installed files, recognise that an app has been completed and add it to the library, also allowing you to resume downloading after an error would be nice.

Thanks,

Andy

andynz
Settler

Update on this issue.

I have First Person Tennis installed and working.

Tried to update today, and at 2% it failed with 'internal error'.

So there is something strange going on here, e.g. a process that is interrupting the download process.

Only seems to be a problem with Viveport, though, as other apps (e.g. Steam) download ok.

When this error occurs, it would be nice if Viveport would do a file check and if all ok, resume where it left off, or re-download file(s) that got corrupted. Better than discarding everything and restarting.

I will try disabling as many processes as a I can, and retry.

Alternatively I presume a could try downloading on another pc, and (if successful) copy it over?

Thanks,

Andy

andynz
Settler

Re: Everest VR download problem - now working!

There be gremlins at work here........it's now working!

A futher update on this saga...

I left my pc, while it was downloading the new Driftwood VR environment (via Steam VR).

I came back, and it had finished downloading.

I exited from Steam, and then saw snow on my monitor.

At first I thought I had a virus or something.

It then dawned on me that this could be the Everest VR app running. Moving the mouse around confirmed it was this.

My headset was all turned off, so I shut down the app, switched everything on and restarted it.

It all appears to be working...

However, in the libary it still shows it as awaiting download (0%).

To launch Everest VR I right click on the Viveport in the taskbar, and select the app from the listing.

It launches and runs fine.

A real mystery as to why it is now up and running, and also why there's still this library issue.

I expect if I click on the download icon it will delete the folder and restart, as it has done many times before.

Andy

Vive Staff

@andynz

So you just left it alone and the download completed all on it's own? What version of Viveport software do you have?

Thanks,

-John C

andynz
Settler

Actually, no. It didn't complete on its own.

As I said in an earlier post, I had actually downloaded all the files, but the only way I could complete the download without getting an error was to use the 'report issue' feature. In there is an option to download the title. I did this, but having completed it would not then show as ready to run in the library.

If I then clicked on the download icon in the library, it would wipe this title and restart from o%.

I had a complete backup so copied it back to the HTC app folder.

But still there was no way to run this title, or so I thought.

Some days ago I did add this title to Steam, as a non-steam product.

Yesterday I must have done something, i.e. clicked on the title in an attempt to see if it would run.

Nothing happened, or so I thought.

I left my pc downloading something, came back and saw snow on the screen.

Somehow the app decided to work...

I have the latest Viveport version: 1.1.8, updated yesterday.

Thanks,

Andy

Labels