Community Announcements
Got a new Deluxe Audio Strap? Here's how to attach it. Questions on Viveport Subscription? FAQS are here.

Connecting VIVE to usb permanently disables OS (windows)

Highlighted
Contributor

Connecting VIVE to usb permanently disables OS (windows)

After a few months off, I plugged in my Vive and Windows dissapeared and had to be reinstalled.

This is very repeatable. Has anyone seen this issue?

Thanks

5 REPLIES
Vive Staff

Re: Connecting VIVE to usb permanently disables OS (windows)

@Astro
Welcome to the forums,
That's quite the issue. Can you describe it in more detail? Screencaps or photographs would be excellent as well.

Thanks,

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."
Contributor

I hadn't used the headset for several months but did allow the VIVE updates to install since my last use. I also haven't had any VIVE issues in the past 6 months or so of use.

When I plugged in the VIVE and launched Steam my PC (MSI GT72  and Nvidia 980M) rebooted uncommanded. Upon restart there is no OS to be found.

I reinstalled Win 10 64, and tried this 3 times with repeatable results. I'm now exploring what to try next.  I found one instance on the web where someone experienced the same issue but offered no solutions.

I haven't identified exactly when the installation fails.  Any suggestions for trying things or for a good installation sequence to test the issue.

Vive Staff

Could you send a video of this? I'd really like to see it.

Thanks,
-John C

Contributor

Hi John, I will put a video together. Thanks for your interest, I want to get my Vive up and running again.
Vive Staff

Thanks, @Astro

I'm very interested in seeing what's going on and getting your Vive working again!

-John C