Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

Amorgeddon
Explorer

Re: Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

@neeco Yeah.. People on reddit wrote the same.. HTC denies that you need a pci 3.0 .. Problem is i only have one.. So i hope for another solution.

Vive Staff

@Amorgeddon @DLSauron @neeco @Furs @LongHairedDave

Can anyone else who has 2x PCI 3.0 slots confirm that swapping to those slots resolves the performance issue?

Thanks,

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support on vive.com and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

Vive Care Operating Hours: 9am to 6pm PST, M-F
resistgravity
Settler

Sadly I have this exact same issue, and have been trying for weeks to fix it.

I have tried every PCIe slot on my board (all listed as 3.0), and the issue remains. I even bought a second (brand new) wireless adapter kit, and it has the same problem. So it must be something with my setup. However this is a brand new build, upgraded everything just so I could be ready for wireless. (*sigh*)

ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/ac
Intel Core i5 8600K, OC 4.5GHz
16GB DDR4 3000
Nvidia 1070 SC
Fresh install of Win10 Pro on SSD

A few notes:
- Works perfect when wired
- Tried all 3 modes on wireless app
- Tried turning off all wireless devices in the house
- Tried Enabling 4G decoding on PCIe
- Tried every PCIe slot on the mobo
- Tried reinstalling Wireless App and SteamVR
- I have the latest drivers and BIOS
- CPU usage is below 50%, GPU usage is below 60%
- Problem exists in all games, SteamVR menu, chaperone boundaries, everywhere
- All of this hardware is BRAND NEW, and everything works beautifully when wired
- Problem occurs on both Wireless Adapters that I've purchased

I desperately want this to work. I really don't want to go back to wired, especially after buying all these upgrades JUST to be able to use wireless. Please help us!
sstachiw
Settler

Wireless Adapter Choppy Performance - FIXED!! For me, anyway...

I am happy to report this is now working flawlessly for me! The quick answer: I plugged my PCIe card into an emplty 8x slot. I know HTC recommends a 1x or, at the most, a 4x. So I never thought to try my 8x. The only reason I did, was because I only have two 1x slots and one is hidden under my GTX1060. So, out of desperation, my empty 8x was all that was left.

I will add one more thing, because I shouldn't rule it out. When I moved the card and booted up and loaded Steam, there was a SteamVR update that loaded as well. I'm not sure what that entailed, but I guess there is a 50% chance that did it as well. To test it, I would have to move my card back to the 1x  slot, but now that it's working, I'm not going to jinx it.

So, if you haven't already, try moving your card to an 8x PCIe slot.

Good luck,

Scott

wonkyvr
Settler

Re: Wireless Adapter Choppy Performance - FIXED!! For me, anyway...

@sstachiw  In moving your PCIe card, in addition to moving to an 8x port, did you also move the PCIe "closer" to the graphics card?

sstachiw
Settler

@wonkyvr yes, actually. It was one slot closer to the GPU. The 1x slot that the card used to be in was at the very bottom of the board, furthest away from the GPU.

Vive Staff

@sstachiw

Do you know if the working slot was 1.0, 2.0 or 3.0 PCIe?

Thank you,

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support on vive.com and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

Vive Care Operating Hours: 9am to 6pm PST, M-F
wonkyvr
Settler

Yea.  Obviously, I'm not a Vive tech ... I'm just some dude ... but I believe it's going to turn out that the "distance" from the GPU has more to do with the problem than the size of the bus, especially on older motherboards.  It's abudantly clear that this tech has been pushed through on "happy path" testing, not vetted the way it should have been against a wide range of real-world scenarios.  Incredibly arrogant.  

sstachiw
Settler

@Synthesis Hi John, AFAIK, all of my PCIe slots are 2.0. It's an older motherboard.

resistgravity
Settler

@wonkyvr

I wish that were true, but for me I have the same issue no matter which slot I put it in. And all of my hardware is brand new. I've tried every slot on my board (all listed as 3.0).

10-11-2018 4-01-12 PM.jpg

Per the manual, the PCIE2 slot must be used for the GPU. I've tried the wireless adapter card in every other slot on the board (PCIE1, 3, 4, 5, 6). I've manually set the slots to be Gen3. I also tried a brand new wireless adapter - no luck. 

Specs again just to clarify:

ASRock Z370 Killer SLI/ac
Intel Core i5 8600K, OC 4.5GHz
16GB DDR4 3000
Nvidia 1070 SC
Fresh install of Win10 Pro on SSD

DLSauron
Contributor

I can confirm moving the wirless card from slot PCIEX1_1 to PCIEX1_2 fixed the problem. These are both 3.0 ports and before anyone asks my GPU was in PCIEX16/x8_1

Capture.PNG

Eternity
Explorer

Re: Wireless Adapter Choppy Performance

My slots are as follow:

- 2 x PCI Express 3.0 x16 slots (PCIE1/PCIE3: single at x16 (PCIE1) / x8 (PCIE3) or dual at x8/x8 mode)
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot (PCIE4: x4 mode)
- 1 x PCI Express 2.0 x1 slot

ss+(2018-10-11+at+07.59.13).jpg

I had originally tested all slots, and just tested all configurations again to be thorough with no improvement. In fact, the card performs worse in PCIE1/PCIE3, with permanent resolution loss and almost complete inability to load anything. It seems to have the best performance in PCIE4, though that's still the bad performance described in my earlier posts. 

When it comes to distance from the GPU, I can't actually plug it in directly next to the GPU because my GPU covers the 1x slot below the primary x16. PCIE3 would be the next closest, and the second 3.0 slot, and caused far worse lag. 

I will note that if I try to plug my GPU in to PCIE3, my computer cannot recognize the card. The BIOS shows the card connected and recognizes it, but when I load up the computer it simply runs via the onboard intel GPU and cannot recognize the GPU no matter what I do. It's possible that in my case the card in PCIE3 with the GPU in PCIE1 is causing issues because the motherboard is trying to run the two cards as SLI or something? Not sure. 

thomas
Visitor

I received my wireless adapter yesterday and am having this same issue. I only have a single PCIE 1x 3.0 slot available on my micro ATX motherboard, as the other slot is covered by GPU (the covered slot is also PCIE_1x/3.0).

GIGABYTE GA-B250M-DS3H
Intel Core i5-7500 3.4 GHz

GTX 1070

16GB 2400mhz DDR4

I have read through other solutions on this thread, seems like there is no fix for my use-case. Can anyone weigh in?

EDIT: After rebooting a couple of times this issue seems to have gone away.

Zazuzen
Contributor

I'm still having  troubles using the closest pci-E to my motherboard and it's 3.0 as well.  I have the lastest mobo drivers, lastest windows and gpu drivers, I tried 1x, x4 and 8x solts.

Furs
Settler

@Synthesis I have it currently running correctly on a PCI 2.0 1x slot on a asus motherboard (z170-deluxe).

When placing it in the PCI 3.0 slot i had wierd game lag.