SOLVED
justintd
Pioneer

Re: Choppy Preformance with Wirless Adapter

That PC doesn't cut it.

Amorgeddon
Settler

Either youtubes are all biased or they had luck.. im at least happy that im not alone with my problem. I was super excited for the wireless kit.. but the pixelation is so bad... also have very high cpu as soon as i start steamvr.. not when i start wirless software though.. 

These are my specs 

MSI Motherboard Z77A-G41
CPU i7 3770
GTX 1070  
16GB Ram
Alexdt
Settler

Again I've gave a list earlier in the forum of things to look at but have you updated your BIOS recently ? I see that the latest bios for your motherboard is 2014 ... which is really old ... if you update everything and test everything I've put in my previous post ... you might be out of luck with your current built ... I've build 50+ build and I've never really like the support on MSI board just an FYI ... and that generation was prone to little glitch on the PCIe side. Start by trying everything I've said first and I hope it works !

Amorgeddon
Settler

Wow that would be super deppressing .. to which post are you refering? In this thread?

wonkyvr
Contributor

I just installed my wireless adapter this evening.  Having the same issue as others here.

GTX 1070,  i7-3770

Amorgeddon
Settler

Hey Wonkyvr.. same combination.. let me hear if you finde a solution.. 

neeco
Contributor

Just joining the thread. Same exact symptoms. Have tried everything suggested here with no luck.

GTX-1080 and i7. CPU and GPU are both barely at 20% when running the vive home screen over wireless, but low frame rate, super compressed video, and slight color lag with head movement.

Amorgeddon
Settler

Very Important!! I just read on readit that users with the problem solved by putting the card in a PCI 3.0 Slot.. If you have one try it out... 

I´m basicly **bleep**ed because if i see it right my motherboard has only one pci 3.0 slot.. and thats for the gpu

MSI Motherboard Z77A-G41... Damm.

wonkyvr
Contributor

I'd like that to be confirmed by Vive staff.  And if true, and there is no work around, they probably need to update the minimum requirements.  Just sayin'.  

Amorgeddon
Settler

Was just in chat with them .. They say you don´t. But we all know support chats, dont we.. Well some users said that solved it for them. I hope they find another solution though...

Uri
Explorer

Hi guys,

Yesterday I was troubleshooting this issue. Here you have my comments:
First TIP: Disable the front cameras. With them active, it was impossible to do anything, with a lot of cuts, low resolution and dropping the FPS. A part than the camera resolution is now really bad, and you cannot see anything focused. I hope it will be reviewed by the HTC team. Smiley Happy

So, the thing is that I have a good PC, i7 4.9OC, 1080 ti, etc, and as I said in my last post, the HMD wired works perfectly.

Here is my contribution for the HTC technical support: I've uploaded a couple of videos showing how when the HMD is sitted, still, without any move, the image displayed is moving a little bit, causing dizziness, when in theory it should be like freezed. The Wigig signal is full (4 bars). I hope this can help them to find where the issue is.

https://youtu.be/dXQIpnURNcA

https://youtu.be/M54ajY7tEjQ

As you can see, the HMD is still, resting without moves, but the image that you see is moving a bit, causing dizziness. Obviously when you put on the HMD and play a game, it increases a lot the sickness.
As you can see, the HMD is still, resting without moves, but the image that you see is moving a bit, causing dizziness. Obviously when you put on the HMD and play a game, it increases a lot the sickness.
LongHairedDave
Contributor

So, after spending a few hours troubleshooting this issue i fixed it for me. I cannot confirm it will work for everyone but this seems to have worked for me.

I took a closer look at some of the diagrams for the installation instructions of the WiGig card and noticed my mistake sofar. The PCI-E x16 ports i use for my graphics cards are also useable for this WiGig card, so after putting all my GFX cards back where they were when i started, i tried using the the next available x16 slot. This has now been tested with no issues for over an hour, the wireless adapter is working perfectly for me. 

1_pcie_v02_opt.png

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtyHQoBTrqjsoJlTSPc3eSRIewPi5Q

I will next be testing the PCI-E x1 port with it once the riser cable is delivered to try that option, but for now, everything works. Hope this helps someone.

Amorgeddon
Settler

@LongHairedDave is it just the 16x slot for you that made the differene or does that slot also have pci 3.0 ?

Furs
Settler

@LongHairedDave when i tried that i noticed that my GPU PCI-E dropped from x16 to x8. This might be motherboard specific but its something you can see with gpu-z. When mine was running on x8 doom vfr went all stuttery on me.

neeco
Contributor

Good call @LongHairedDave! Thought I had tried every PCI configuration, but this post made me go back and take another look, making sure that both my GFX and WiGig cards were in 3.0 slots. Everything working beautifully now. It's night and day. @Amorgeddon, for me, it was the difference of 3.0 (had tried other configurations using 2.0 16x slots, and that wasn't working).