Community Announcements

Need help with Viveport? Read this FAQ for information.

Can't Install Vive Desktop App

Contributor

Can't Install Vive Desktop App

I cannot install the desktop app. I run the ViveSw.exe file but mid install I get a message saying it cannot find the installation package for Setup_VivePCClient.msi.

I also received this same error when running the ViveSetup.exe

Windows 10

13 REPLIES
Builder

Re: Can't Install Vive Desktop App

I went ahead and jumped on my laptop and headed over to - https://www.vive.com/us/setup/ - and downloaded the installer fresh.

Worked with no issues - and I am also on Windows 10(Pro).

Try re-downloading it from the link above?

Also - are you an administrator on that machine? Have you tried to run the file with elevated privileges (right click, Run as Administartor)?

Contributor

I've tried a fresh install a few times from the vive site.

I have tried turning off the firewall and running as admin.

Capture.PNG

Vive Staff

@Quickie

What URL are you downloading from?

Thank you,

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."
Contributor

From the main Vive site.

https://www.vive.com/us/setup/

Vive Staff

@Quickie

I just sent a message up to our development team to see if they know what's causing this. It seems to be working fine for me too.

You're located in the US, right?

Thanks,

-John C

Contributor

[ Edited ]

I am in the US. Maryland

Vive Staff

@Quickie

Try downloading from here: https://www.viveport.com

Thanks,

-John C

Contributor

@Synthesis

Sorry to say that I get the same error with that link as well. It says software installed, but I still don't have the desktop app. It gives me Vive Home and Vive Dashboard.

Vive Staff

@Quickie

I sent you a link to a tool that might help. Let me know in the PM.

Thank you,

-John C

Contributor

I'm having this exact same problem. Installer gets to 95%, shows same error message, I end up with Vive Dashboard and Vive Home but no desktop app.

Did you find a solution?

Vive Staff

@raidtheruins

Are you also on Windows 10 (creators update)? Or are you using a previous version?

Thanks,

-John C

Contributor

@Synthesis 

No, I do not have the creators update yet, just the latest Windows 10 before that. 

I ended up finding a workaround to get the Vive desktop app installed. I uninstalled all the Vive software I had (home and dashboard, drivers) then installed an old version of the Vive desktop app someone preserved on reddit, VivePCClientSetup(846).exe

That installer worked, so then I used the latest Vive installer again from the viveport.com setup download, which installed Home and Dashboard again, and brought the Vive desktop app up to the latest version. 

So, not sure what the problem is, but the latest version of the Vive software installer clearly has an issue when trying to install the desktop app, but the old standalone version installs fine.

Settler

I just wanted to say, this is the same thing that is happening to me that i made a thread about after the Vive support work around they gave me, this is happening because there is no exe to Viveport on the software provided online, I have been dealing with this for days..