What is a good laptop for VIVE?

dredle1
Contributor

What is a good laptop for VIVE?

Hello all!

I am new to this so I apologize for my ignorance.  My son has been wanting an HTC VIVE for awhile now, so guess what Santa is bringing for Christmas this year.  He will need a new laptop for this as well which is where the abundance of information out there is causing my brain to shut down.  While at the Mall of America, the microsoft store had a VIVE setup and my son got to try it out.  I asked the store associate what laptop I should get, and he replied, "Alienware."  Personally, I do not have a preference in which laptop, just one that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg.  So I guess I also need advice on what specs are the most important.  Nividia 1060, 1070 or 1080?  I know I would like a 17" screen, so QHD or UHD?  I also want a PCIe ssd with a SATA as well, but how much storage is enough?  My budget is anywhere from $2000 - $3200, because I want this laptop to last for awhile, at minimum 5 years.  I do not want to have to replace it after 2 years, so I'm willing to spend a little more upfront, if it's worth it.  So, if anyone would be so kind as to help me narrow my choices down and give me some solid info in what to look for, I would really appreciate it!  Thanks in advance!

Vive Staff

Re: What is a good laptop for VIVE?

@dredle1

Hi! Thanks for posting here with your question. In short, I'd refer you to our Vive Ready page which lists system requirements as well as links to Vive Ready PCs and Laptops (including Alienware!)
https://www.vive.com/us/ready/

If you're still curious after pouring over that or if you have more questions, we'd be happy to answer them.

Thank you!

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."
dredle1
Contributor

Well, yes, I have many questions.  Of the 3 types recommended on this site - Alienware, HP  Omen, and MSI, which is most preferred by users?  Should I go with Nvidia 1070 or upgrade to 1080.  How much storage is enough and how much of that should be in a PCIe?  Should I spend extra on a 4k screen?  I don't want to get a laptop that is overkill or one that will work so hard that it feels like it will melt while using.

Vive Staff

@dredle1

There's a few questions you've asked, so I'll try to unpack and answer each one by one.
1. Every user has their own preferences, so I can't make a statement about one being preferred, but all are good. 

2. The 1080 is going to be superior to the 1070 in every respect, so if you can afford it, I'd personally go for the more powerful card.

3. When you talk about storage, do you mean Hard Drive space?

4. A 4k screen is entirely up to you; it will have no bearing on your VR experience at all.

Thanks,

-John C

dredle1
Contributor

Thank you for your response.  In regards to storage, I was looking at a SATA + PCIe drive.  As I understand, are the games streamed?  So does this mean they don't actually get stored on the laptop's hard drive?  If that is so (and maybe you can educate me) would 1 TB SATA + 256 PCIe drive be sufficient?  Maybe even tell me some things that I would really want to have and some things that are not as important.  Like, for example, it sounds like it would be better to go with Nvidia's 1080 graphics card rather than the 1070, stuff like that.

Vive Staff

@dredle1

The games are stored locally on your harddrive like any other PC game. There is no steaming option at this time.

Do not skimp on the RAM (16GB minimum) and if you can get a faster hard drive or just go with a solid state drive, that will help you.

Thank you,

-John C