Viveport client updates - please read and give us feedback!

Highlighted
Viveport Content

Viveport client updates - please read and give us feedback!

Quick client link: Go to our setup page and click 'Download Vive software installer'.

Hello everyone! I wanted to give you an update on our Vive/Viveport desktop client. We've updated and improved the client a lot recently, and we want to hear your feedback!

Many of you probably installed the client during our launch sale weekend, and you gave us excellent feedback on what we needed to improve. Our engineering team has been hard at work, focused on the stability and reliability of the client, and we've pushed a number of updates since launch.

Here's a high level overview of changes that have been made, and what we're still looking for feedback on.

DOWNLOAD SPEEDS: We've made several changes here including ramping up our CDN provision to increase download speeds. You should see an overall speed increase. Get your apps faster!

CRASHES: We have identified and fixed several issues that could cause crashes of the Vive desktop client and/or Windows. More stability!

ANTI-VIRUS ISSUES: We've made improvements so that anti-virus software shouldn't interfere with Viveport anymore, including launching apps. Less phantom bugs!

There are many more changes within the app to make it more stable. All good news!

Here's what we need from you: FEEDBACK!

If you haven't used the Viveport client for a while, please launch it and make sure it's up to date. You should be running at least R950 (seen under 'settings').

Screen Shot 2016-11-17 at 10.31.57 AM.pngClick that button to download!

If you never installed the client or need to install it again, click here to visit the setup page, and then click 'Download Vive software installer'.

If you see any problems at all with the client, we want to know about it so we can make it even better. Please leave a comment in this thread, detailing your version of Windows, your version of the Vive desktop client (check under 'settings' and look for a number such as 'R950') and details of your issue.

We've got plenty of exciting apps and deals coming soon (is that a US holiday I see approaching...?) and we want you to be ready for them with the latest version of Viveport.

Help us help you and give us feedback!

Thanks in advance,

Stephen (and the rest of the Viveport Team)

Stephen 'Rockjaw' Reid
- Editor in Chief, Viveport

Looking for your bundled Vive/Viveport codes?
Read this FAQ!
sd1
New Arrival

Re: Viveport client updates - please read and give us feedback!

Hello,

I bought Vive at a Microsoft store at Thanksgiving. There should have been 2 free games included but nothing in the sealed package. I have been exchanging emails with support since then and I still have not received the two free games.

Thank you for your help.

Viveport Content

Hello @sd1 - copying from another thread here.

As you purchased from the Microsoft store, I'm not 100 percent certain if the codes were supposed to be with the purchase, or if they're emailed separately. You mentioned talking to support - if you mean Microsoft, that's the right way to go. Our Customer Care team can't really help in this case as it wasn't a direct purchase.

Generally the codes will either be given to you on purchase (sometimes printed on your receipt) or they'll be emailed afterwards.

Let us know how this resolves for you.

Stephen 'Rockjaw' Reid

Read this FAQ!
MartinMarty
Architect

I bought mine from Newegg on a similar deal and they emailed key codes to me, though I have not yet tried to use them. Perhaps check the spam folder for whatever email account your Microsoft transaction would have been associated with.

MartinMarty
Architect

I'll give you some feedback. Hope I don't make you sorry you asked.

Just kidding. I've spent the last six days trying to get Vive working (which I expected to take an hour or two) so I do have some feedback but I'm not sure it's relevant to your question.

So for the first item of my feedback, making a long story short, I had a nightmare of a time trying to get my PC to recognize the hardware devices even though it (almost) passed the compaitibility test. When I say "almost", I mean that my PC failed on video, which I then resolved by buying a GTX 1080 card. After reading umpteen posts and troubleshooting guides and Youtube help videos that all basically suggested the same things (delete drivers, uninstall/reinstall, unplug/replug, try different ports) I finally saw a post from a similarly afflicted lady who said she eventually gave up on Win7 and installed Win10 and it worked. So I dug up an old SSD, put Win10 on it, and likewise, mine basically worked on the first try after that. So my feedback is, if the #!(*&!%( thing doesn't run on WIndows 7 why not just tell people that? I was close to sending it back. If I hadn't also shelled out another 7 bills for a video card, I probably would have (that and being completely enamored with the potential coolness of the whole VR trip). Smiley Wink

See, you people have a great advantage here. They put the headset on sale for $100 off to attract my gaze. Then after reading about a dozen reviews that say "I DON'T KNOW WHERE TO START - JUST BUY IT NOW!" I got it in my head that I have to have this thing. I'm old, jaded, underemployed. I don't even play regular video games and have no interest in them. But this is so cool that I am willing to put up with way more carp than any ordinary product, not to mention spending tons of money I probably shouldn't have.

The next part of my feedback is about "pieces/parts". I'm not talking about the hardware. I did not find that to be intimidating and the whole box, i.e. the whole arrangement and presentation was very well put together. Top notch first impression - right up until I tried to install the software. 12 hours later and another $50 for a new USB card to be shipped overnight, I'm sitting here with nothing, wondering "Did they test this at all?" Honestly, in Win7 the whole installation looked suspect in that a bunch of USB PnP drivers were not installed when the instructions said they should be. It wasn't a big surprise when it didn't work. Heck, even under Windows 10 I got an error when I tried to run the room setup. Something about not being able to find the exe even though I had accepted all the default values for installation. I had to manually find the correct setup program and run it.

Sorry. Back to the pieces/parts. It is confusing what the individual elements are for (software and the organizarions). What is Vive versus Steam versus SteamVR versus Viveport. Even in your post, you referred to "Vive/Viveport".

It seems like all of those terms refer to a website, a desktop application and maybe in a place in the VR world (Viveport?).                                                                                                                                                          

During my installation difficulties, I even read a couple of posts whch suggested that one wouldn't even to install Vive, only Steam. So that's where I'm at now. I finally got it working with a hoakie Win10 kludge. I have cables hanging out of the case so I can switch back to my Win7 SSD when I need to do anything other than Vive. I've been to some virtual place that I think was called Viveport where some of the doodads worked. For example, there was a floating TV screen and I was able to get it to show me a directory full of movies but when I picked one, it didn't play. I think I tried a couple MP4s and maybe an AVI. It would have been really cool if the movies had played but they didn't. I suppose I could be missing CODECs on the PC or something like that, since it was a brand new fresh install just for Vive.

All that being said, now that I have seen it working there is no way I'm returning anything to any store. I have not been this excited about a tech gizmo since the first "quadracopter" I bought years before they started calling them "drones". This VR stuff looks awesome.

I have some other Viveport questions but I think I will post them elsewhere.

Viveport Content

Hey @MartinMarty, thanks for the feedback.

One thing I will say is that Vive can definitely work on Windows 7. We run it on one of our office PCs. Smiley Happy However, being a little older, it can be a bit more stubborn to get to work.

Regarding the naming stuff, we're working on it. Viveport is the name for our app store and will also be the name of the desktop app. Vive is the hardware. SteamVR is software. Hopefully it'll be clearer in future!

Stephen 'Rockjaw' Reid

Read this FAQ!
stormgiant
Contributor

I want to use my mouse and keyboard to play, and theather mode is not the answer. I tried to return my vive which my wife purchased in november as an xmas present, but they had no xmas policy so when I opened it up "buyer remorse" had expired. So now I have to remount it and place my beer in a safe distant so my "controller" dont hit my table or monitors or beer while I'm seated. He did say buyers remorse.

zafgev
Contributor

All over I read the following comment from mederators - "..they'll be emailed afterwards." - who emails these Viveport direct, Steam, HTC??

I too have not received any word on how I get access to the coupons so I'm at a loss as to how a customer can redeems these. To be clear - if the Vive is sold with the primise of a free game coupon and its agreed with Steam or Viveport, surely there should be clarity communicated to customers as a printed leaflet as to the process.

So I think as feedback to you I beleive there should be more clarity around included game content and the process the customer can expect to redeem those.

Viveport Content

Hi @zafgev,

If you purchased your Vive directly from HTC via Vive.com, we email the codes to you directly after purchase. If you haven't received codes yet, please talk to our Customer Care team (link is in my sig).

If you purchased via a retailer, it's the retailer's responsibility to deliver codes to you. That may be via email, or via a physical receipt or similar.

Stephen 'Rockjaw' Reid

Read this FAQ!
pat_trick
Settler

A large group of the community over at reddit.com/r/vive has been actively uninstalling the Viveport software, and recommending others do the same.

Why?

Because it loves to update whenever it pleases, and there is no way to control this.

Please remove the auto-updating feature, or at the least provide a notification and let us decide when the software chooses to update.  Nothing is more frustrating than being in the middle of some experience or game, and having it suddenly minimize to desktop because Viveport has decided to install updates.  After this happened for the third time, I uninstalled it.

Give the user more control over this, and I'll consider reinstalling it.  In the meantime, it stays off of my system.

Viveport Content

Hey @pat_trick, completely understand your feelings on this.

This issue has been escalated to our engineering team, and when I have an update on its status to share, I'll let you know.

Stephen 'Rockjaw' Reid

Read this FAQ!
Sir-Viver
New Arrival

- Exiting an app exits all the way out to SteamVR forcing me to restart Viveport to play something else.

- Multiple instances of error message: "Viveport Unavailable – Something went wrong while connecting to Viveport” What causes this? I have a Win 7 PC, 970, I7 3770, 16 GB RAM

- The UI is confusing and pointlessly complicated. Clicking the Viveport button in SteamVR opens up a Viveport menu screen, but then I click "Viveport" button in the Viveport menu and it takes me to an environment where I can access another, different menu screen. Or clicking "Vive Home" button in the Viveport menu takes me to a different but similar environment where I can access a third type of menu screen. What is the point of all these different (yet similar) menus in different places? So confusing.

Clicking Viveport button on the SteamVR screen should take me automatically to my Viveport environment where I can view a single menu with tabs for store content or purchased content.

On a positive note. I tried your Vive Cinema app. It's really nice and easy to use.

elvissteinjr
New Arrival

To be honest, I don't expect a change on these as they're probably burried somewhat deep in the codebase by now, but here's the reason I don't use Viveport:

Could Viveport not force 2 system services + 1 file system driver on me? Thanks.

Viveport Content

Thanks again for feedback, everyone. Feel free to keep it coming.

@Sir-Viver (nice pun)

Sir-Viver wrote:

- Exiting an app exits all the way out to SteamVR forcing me to restart Viveport to play something else.

Could you let me know if this happens with all Viveport apps, or specific ones?

Sir-Viver wrote:

- Multiple instances of error message: "Viveport Unavailable – Something went wrong while connecting to Viveport” What causes this? I have a Win 7 PC, 970, I7 3770, 16 GB RAM

If you could let me know where you're getting these errors, it'd help diagnose.

Sir-Viver wrote:

On a positive note. I tried your Vive Cinema app. It's really nice and easy to use.

Nice note to end on. Smiley Happy Check out Vive Video which also launched this week.

Stephen 'Rockjaw' Reid

Read this FAQ!
hammocktime
Contributor

As @elvissteinjr mentioned, the main aggravation with the Vive/Viveport software is that it imposes the running of some background tasks even when you're not running the store application or the Viveport "lobby". This is what made me uninstall the whole suite. I don't have a problem running an alternative store to Steam when I want to, or another VR app (like the Viveport "lobby") if I find its features useful, but anything running in support of these should be terminated when I'm done.