Viveport Developer Awards - Q&A

Vive Staff

Viveport Developer Awards - Q&A

Dev_awards_hero_2MB.jpeg

What are the Viveport Developer Awards?

The Viveport Developer Awards showcase, celebrate, and reward developers for their VR creations. In 2016, the first exhibition of the VDAs consists of a pool of $500,000 in cash and prizes which will be awarded early next year for apps published on Viveport. The Awards will span across Viveport’s pillars of Explore, Create, Connect and Experience.

How do I enter the contest?

Once you publish your app on Viveport, you can at any time after September 12th opt in to the contest through the developer console, after signing in with your HTC account.  Developers must elect to opt in to the contest and review the Official Rules. Developers must meet the eligibility requirements as outlined in the Official Rules. 

What are the eligibility requirements?

Eligibility is determined by two factors. First, the app must be available on the Viveport store between August 25, 2016 and November 30, 2016. Developers may submit their title at any time and it will be reviewed and approved for publication per the standard terms of the Viveport Distribution Agreement.

Thus for apps approved and published prior to this window, so long as the content is available during this timeframe, they will be considerd. 

Second, eligible apps must come from developers who are legally incorporated or whose legal residency is from one of the approved contest territories as detailed in the Official Rules. Territories include the United States, Canada (excluding Quebec), United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Switzerland, Norway, Poland, Austria, Belgium, Russia, Thailand, Singapore, India, Mexico and Japan. We plan on adding more countries for future contests.

What are the Award categories?

The Award categories are based on Viveport’s content pillars of Explore, Create, Connect and Experience.

Explore: Titles that transport and transcend, taking us to places and times in ways never imagined before VR. Lifestyle and educational titles that enlighten and empower people to gain insight into the world or themselves.

Create: Titles that embrace creativity as well as tools for design and utility that transform our daily lives; inspire new forms of art or music, enable storytelling, and encourage productivity.

Connect: Titles that enable and appeal to the social side of VR life; helping people share experiences, communicate, network, keep informed, or ease collaboration.

Experience: Titles that are innovations on storytelling or sharing 360-video and 2D video experiences; scripted or unscripted narratives, news to sports, animation to documentary, and virtual theaters for aggregators.

Do I need to select an award category when I enter the contest?

No. The Viveport team will review all eligible apps and assign Award categories during the evaluation process. Developers will not be asked to self-submit for VDA categories. The only categorization developers need to do is select from the available categories and genres offered in the developer console during the regular app submission process. Award categories will not appear in the developer console during the contest entry or as part of the standard app submission process.

How are nominees and winners determined?

Five nominees will be chosen for each of the award categories–Explore, Create, Connect and Experience–for a total of 20 nominees. Nominees will be determined based on engagement metrics and overall experience. Awards will be presented to each of the five nominees per category based on an average ranking determined by a jury.

Does my app have to be exclusive to Viveport to be eligible? Does it matter if it’s free or paid?

No. You are welcome to distribute your app on as many platforms as you deem applicable. Any consumer engagement with your titles on other platforms will not be factored into the selection process. All monetization models are accepted.

If my app is distributed on Steam, is it eligible?

Your app may absolutely be distributed on Steam, but it does not make you eligible. You must publish your app on Viveport to be considered for the contest pending eligibility.

When will nominees be announced? Winners?

Viveport is all about supporting and promoting developer experiences and plans on revealing nominees on a regular interval between Viveport’s commercial launch through the end of November. Winners will be determined in December 2016 and the announcement will be shared via the media and/or at a Vive-hosted event in January 2017. To stay on top of the all the latest VDA news, please check the Viveport Community Forum. All nominees and winner will be notified in advance.

When should I release my title?

You should always submit your title when you determine it is ready to be published or fits your strategy. Viveport will always be excited to share your content with the world and support it with marketing and promotion. However, should your title be ready to submit during the contest window, we recommend submitting earlier than later to benefit from the time to promote and drive engagement.

Can I promote my title?

Yes. You can and should promote your title. Driving traffic to your content on Viveport will help drive your sales. Viveport will promote the nominees and the winners, but when developers sign the general distribution agreement, it grants us the right to globally promote your title regardless if you’re eligible for the VDAs or not, as that is a benefit of the platform in general. As we consider the many engagement factors for the VDAs specifically, there are no constraints for you to build excitement for your title on Viveport.

Will I need to pay taxes on my prize?

Yes. Developers are responsible for any taxes due on prizes as required by law. Viveport will provide all necessary forms.

svrviveofficial
New Arrival

Re: Viveport Developer Awards - Q&A

Regarding categories: are game (apps) allowed to participate, and if so: in which category? 

Always classy, 
Team SVRVIVE

Vive Staff

svrviveofficial wrote:

Regarding categories: are game (apps) allowed to participate, and if so: in which category? 

Always classy, 
Team SVRVIVE

Hi and thanks for joining the Viveport Community. That's a great question - As per our FAQs here, apps and games will both be considered. The Viveport team will assess the content and determine where a title would best fall within our Viveport Pillars - Discover, Create, Connect, Watch, and Shop. You as the creator don't have to do anything, rather the Viveport team will make the Award category determination. The Award categories are listed below:

• Discover: Titles that transport and transcend, taking us to places and times in ways never-imagined before VR. Lifestyle and educational titles that enlighten and empower people to gain insight into the world or themselves.
  • Connect: Titles that enable and appeal to the social side of VR life. Titles that help people share experiences communicate, network together, keep people informed or ease collaboration.
  • Create: Titles that embrace creativity as well as tools for design and utility that transform our daily lives. Titles that inspire new forms of art or music, those that enable storytelling and ones which encourage productivity.
  • Watch: Titles that are innovations on storytelling or sharing 360-video and 2D video experiences. Scripted or unscripted narratives, news to sports, animation to documentary, virtual theaters to aggregators, these VR titles.
  • Shop: Titles that transform the retail experience and those that reinvent the relationship between consumer and brand. Immersive store design, virtual storefront tools, reimagined products displays and branded narratives that drive new forms of brand affinity.

Do I need to select an award category when I enter the contest?

No. The Viveport team will review all eligible apps and assign Award categories during the evaluation process. Developers will not be asked to self-submit for VDA categories. The only categorization developers need to do is select from the available categories and genres offered in the developer console during the regular app submission process. Award categories will not appear in the developer console during the contest entry or as part of the standard app submission process.

katie_tripixels
Builder

Shen says that all current expereinces/games already up also take part, but your current rules are "Eligibility is determined by two factors. First, the date of publication of the app on the Viveport store must fall between August 25, 2016 and November 30, 2016."

Can this be fixed please? Don't want to frustrate us early devs! Should be anyone on the store currently as well. 

Vive Staff

katie_tripixels wrote:

Shen says that all current expereinces/games already up also take part, but your current rules are "Eligibility is determined by two factors. First, the date of publication of the app on the Viveport store must fall between August 25, 2016 and November 30, 2016."

Can this be fixed please? Don't want to frustrate us early devs! Should be anyone on the store currently as well. 

Hey Katie,
We love our early developers! Regarding your question on the time period, as long as your app is available on the Viveport store between Aug 25th to Nov 30th 2016 your content may be considered. Your app can be published before that window, so long as it is available and in good standing during that time. Thank you for pointing this out and we will clarify our communication.  

RealityCheckVR
Pioneer

I will be working hard for the next few weeks attempting to get an early-access build for you guys!)

Does this build have to be purely for the HTC Vive or just work with the HTC Vive? I ask this because I am working on a few different methods to allow several different HMD's to work with my experiences. (currently working with Rift/Touch combination as well as OSVR/hydras)

As it is I do not own a Vive, but I am a big fan of the hardware and want more than anything for Vive users to enjoy my experiences. Thanks for your time!

-Caleb
Vive Staff

RealityCheckVR wrote:
I will be working hard for the next few weeks attempting to get an early-access build for you guys!)

Does this build have to be purely for the HTC Vive or just work with the HTC Vive? I ask this because I am working on a few different methods to allow several different HMD's to work with my experiences. (currently working with Rift/Touch combination as well as OSVR/hydras)

As it is I do not own a Vive, but I am a big fan of the hardware and want more than anything for Vive users to enjoy my experiences. Thanks for your time!

-Caleb

Caleb - Your title does not have to be exclusive to the Vive, but as you are developing builds to optimize for each platform we would be honored if you also considered a room-scale build. Demonstrating the power of our platform is something we encourage creators to do, however we will of course be glad to review a build that simply works with the Vive. We look forward to your submission. 

Eduard
Settler

* Provide your bank account information and verify your identity to receive payouts for earnings accrued by your content on Viveport.

Chose region*.
I live in Russia. I do not see Russia in "Chose region" !

Second, eligible apps must come from developers who are legally incorporated or whose legal residency is from one of the approved contest territories as detailed in the Official Rules. Territories include the United States, Canada (excluding Quebec), United Kingdom, Germany, France, Sweden, Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand, China, Taiwan, South Korea, Switzerland, Norway, Poland, Austria, Belgium, <<<<<<<<<<<<<< Russia >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>, Thailand, Singapore, India, Mexico and Japan. We plan on adding more countries for future contests.

Vive Staff

Eduard -

Thank you for the question and a good one. The regions where you can distribute your app and the ones eligible for the contest do in fact differ. Good catch.

When you submit your app for distribution, you can select global or specific territories where you would like your title to appear. We will be adding Russia and other new markets this Fall to the distribution regions in the developer console. But if you choose 'All', consumers who may already have Vives in Russia could still access your title on Viveport. We roll out new markets officially when we have enabled a localized Viveport storefront and have an established retail presence in those territories as we want to best service consumers.

Separate from this are the countries where Viveport can legally run the contest. Many countries have different requirements and Viveport worked to get as large as a global footprint for our first contest and are currently already working to grow it so we can include more creators worldwide for our future Awards. This isn't a one time Thank You, it's the first of many expressions of gratitude from Viveport. As for you, Russia is in fact included, so you are eligible regardless of where you choose to distribute your app, so long as your title is published before Nov. 30, 2016. 

Eduard
Settler

I have in view http://savepic.ru/11117400.png

Provide your bank account information.
I do not see Russia in "Chose region".

Vive Staff

Hi Eduard,

Regarding the bank information setting, we are now adding the support for more countries in our payout service. You will be able to select Russia in "Region" by the end of September.

Navid
New Arrival

Hi,

"Nominees will be determined based on engagement metrics and overall experience"

Would you please give more details about "overall experience"? Is it automatically determined by considering "Likes" and "Stars" or the judges determine it (or perhaps a combination of these and other factors)?

Regards,

Navid 

Highlighted
Vive Staff

Navid - 

Thank you for the question. There are two rounds of judging. First, we nominate based on engagement metrics and overall experience and second, the jury will judge the titles in each category and their average scores determine the awards. Regarding the overall experience, this is where the app is assessed for such features as vertigo, replayablility and how illustrative it is of the award category relative to the other eligible candidates in the category. 

The Viveport Team

focusonfun
Regular

Have final prizes been announced? The only thing I see on this page so far is the notice about a prize pool of $500,000.

Secondly, is that prize amount in USD?
Community

Hi there @focusonfun, the final prizes are detailed in the rules, but I'll summarize here. The prizes are in US dollars, yes.

Any entrant can win a maximum of two prizes, regardless of how many times they enter.

In each category (Discover, Create, Connect, Watch, Shop) the prizes are as follows:

1st place: $50K + HTC Vive

2nd place: $30K + HTC Vive

3rd place: $15K + HTC Vive

Runners-up (2): HTC Vive (one each)

Hope that helps. Look forward to seeing your entry!

Labels