Vive for Makers is here... introducing MakeVR!

Highlighted
Viveport Content

Vive for Makers is here... introducing MakeVR!

Very excited to say that MakeVR, the incredible VR app that lets you create in 3D space, is live right now on Viveport.

MakeVR not only allows you to create 3D models with your Vive, but also can be exported so that you can print those objects with a 3D printer, or get them printed by an online 3D printing service such as Shapeways.

We launched a new site - http://www.viveformakers.com/ - with all the info you need. Go check it out!

Perhaps before you do though, tell me what you'd create in VR using MakeVR!  Best answer down below will win a code for a copy of MakeVR...!

Stephen 'Rockjaw' Reid
- Editor in Chief, Viveport

Looking for your bundled Vive/Viveport codes?
Read this FAQ!
Matrix
Visitor

Re: Vive for Makers is here... introducing MakeVR!

Vive Tracker peripheral Cat Tongue

Mullegil
Contributor

I would make a Vive stand.

Viveport Content

Matrix wrote:

Vive Tracker peripheral Cat Tongue

Yeah... 3D printers aren't able to replicate complex electronics just yet, @Matrix. Smiley Wink

@Mullegil - for the headset? The controllers?

Put a little effort in here to get yourself a code, guys. Smiley Wink

Stephen 'Rockjaw' Reid
- Editor in Chief, Viveport

Looking for your bundled Vive/Viveport codes?
Read this FAQ!
KingRangnar
Builder

Why stop there? Smiley Happy How about Vive wand stands ? Silly toys for my daughter, some crazy pen holder , some improvised cable management system of objects for the Vive  (until we get  wireless solution). Seriously, endless things to consider. Create funny , useful , silly, profitable(why not) things while having fun in VR. Remember the lady who invented the pizza saver (package saver) thing and patented? I bet she made a lot of money out of this silly little plastic object. I was considering buying some 3d printer, and with apps like this I'm getting more convinced of getting one. 

Great Idea devs!

ImageBuff
New Arrival

For my daughter:

My daughter is a Visualization major who is working toward a job as a modeler at Pixar or similar 3D animation company.  She can use this as a tool for creating the models for her various 3D art related classes.  She is very excited about sculpting in VR!

For me:

All kinds of objects for output to my 3D printer.  Various parts for RC aircraft and peripherals.  Can't wait!

Chris 

Mettanine
Settler

This is awesome!

I'd model our house. Again.
I already made a version in Blender, before it was built, but to think it could be done from within VR blows my mind and I'd really love to try that.
polezo
Contributor

:-D Perfect timing for this to be released as I just got my Prusa MKii for printing delivered last week!

Already have been planning on making several toys, costumes and puzzles for my daughter, but my favorite idea i've been mulling around with for me right now is turning my Vive into a Mister Potato head. Kinda like how people have put googly eyes on their Vive, but I want to go further to and use velcro stickers on my 3D prints to create interchangeable parts i could switch out on the headphones and Vive straps too like horns, ears, noses etc. Should be fun for goofs when I show it off to people.

polezo
Contributor

Funny at least 3 different commentors mentioning they are planning to use this to make things for/with their daughter (myself included). We should all be friends! haha. 

@ImageBuff You may already be aware of this, but as an RC fan with a 3D printer you may want to check out the Prusa Spitfire model that Josef started giving out out for free last year. Not an RC guy myself so I can't say how good it is personally but the people who have printed and assembled it say it's pretty ace.

Mettanine
Settler

Hey @polezo, you probably meant @ImageBuff. But thanks anyway Smiley Happy

Oh, if it's mandatory to make things for our daughters, I'll design a doll house for her and let her walk around in it before actually building it. Smiley Wink
polezo
Contributor

Whoops, totally did mean ImageBuff. Corrected in my post above thanks.

urbanachiever924
New Arrival

As a new owner of a 3d printer, I would go crazy with MakeVR! I've spent the last few months printing mods out for the printer itself and I've finally gotten in "honed in." My greatest satisfaction with it so far has been printing toys for kids and seeing their expressions when I say that they can actually have it (I tell their parents I'll just print another one). I've been getting into 3d modelling as well so that I can create my own objects and it would be even better to have a program like MakeVR to express myself in. Money is tight right now so an open-source program like Blender will have to do in the meantime (no VR interface Man Sad). 

eminus
New Arrival

I'd make props and characters for a potential stop motion animation short film.

Mullegil
Contributor

Yeah, for the HMD and controllers. The box it came in isn't ideal for every day storage.

burninpanda
Contributor

I'd model a giant hand with the middle digit extended. What sort of business model charges me 50% more than the rest of the world because i live in Australia. 

The site 'with all the info you need' has a few static pics and the only vids i can find are on Youtube and they're years old.