Community Announcements
Got a new Deluxe Audio Strap? Here's how to attach it.

VR for Impact - How can VR make the world a better place?

Vive Staff

VR for Impact - How can VR make the world a better place?

[ Edited ]

You might think that we can do very little to change the world through VR software. We don’t think that’s the case. Many pieces of art that changed the world, including software and games, were created by one person or small teams. 

We are issuing a call to developers, creators and VR dreamers to build something new, something that speaks to our humanity and has the potential to change the world - and we are pledging $10M in funding to help make this happen. 

The objective of this program is to sponsor and support VR content creators ready to use their talents and abilities to strive for a better world. We are specifically looking at funding VR projects which directly support The United Nation’s Sustainable Development Goals. 

See vrforimpact.com for details - or ask us questions here.

34 REPLIES
New Arrival

Re: VR for Impact - How can VR make the world a better place?

This sounds like a great initiative, excited to submit some ideas!

Beyond just a text description of the concept is there a way to submit additional materials (sketches/mock ups etc)? Or will that be a second round after the initial pitches?

Architect

Well Done Vive a big pat on the back for you. 
Not only are you groundbreaking in VR your supporting the smaller guys as well. 
all too often its those guys that get forgotten about.
Hope in the future we will see some great thing come from this announcment. 

Se7enVR
-Is it Real or Just VR? not a question just a Signature
Builder

Even more incentive to Devs to come up with that killer app/game

Community

MartinSchubert wrote:

This sounds like a great initiative, excited to submit some ideas!

Beyond just a text description of the concept is there a way to submit additional materials (sketches/mock ups etc)? Or will that be a second round after the initial pitches?

There will be a number of steps to submission, I'm sure that mockups and prototypes could well be part of this.

Constructor

ViveportTeam wrote:

You might think that we can do very little to change the world through VR software. We don’t think that’s the case. Many pieces of art that changed the world, including software and games, were created by one person or small teams. 

VR is going to change the world on the scale of computers and the Internet. This is going to be major.

bw
New Arrival

Do you have to be a developer to submit? I work at a charity that I know would have one or more amazing applications for VR, but we don't have the expertise. Can we submit a concept knowing we would have to hire outside help to build it?

Community

Hey @bw, you do not have to be a developer to submit, although obviously, the more you research your concept and make sure it's feasible, the better chances it would have of being potentially accepted.

Perhaps ask around here for some advice?

At AllHumanity Group, we are looking to continue to work hand-in-hand with VR content creators to capture the work of non-profits, NGO's, charities working around the world in order to bring their donors and supporters into focus with the real crisis that exist.  In days gone by, there was the post card of a child to donors; then video appeals and today, through VR the world has grown much closer for all of humanity.

Robert@AllHumanityGroup
Contributor

How do we send in a submission? I can't seem to find the submission guidelines, and the email and/or platform to submit the document to. 

Thank you! 

New Arrival

Hi,

Is it possible to discuss ideas with the VRforImpact team?

I'm visiting San Francisco in a few weeks for meetings, and it may be helpful to briefly meet to discuss a possible project, in addition to the expression of interest I've submitted via the web form.

Many thanks

Rich

New Arrival

Thank you guys and gals so much for setting this whole inniative up! I've been meaning to voice my opnions to an orgaznied intaitive for almost two years now! I hope we are all able to colloaborate and bring social good through new, emerging tech in the form of VR/AR/MR experiences! Good luck to everyone and may we all succeed Smiley Happy 

New Arrival

Great initiative! Did anyone apply yet?

I am asking since I just did but did not get any confirmation email. So I'm a little worried if I input my email wrong Smiley Happy

Anyone get a confirmation emails after submission?
Community

Hey @glazba, we have sent out an email to all applicants, but it went to everyone who'd registered by February 15th. Don't worry, if you applied recently, you're still eligible to be considered.

Answering a couple of other questions:

@DrRichJohnston - if you're at GDC, it's possible we could get you a meeting. Generally speaking we're not setting up meetings with applicants here at the offices, as we have so many! Send me a PM if you're heading to GDC.

@nn5891 - visit VRforImpact.com  and click 'join us'. Smiley Happy

New Arrival

Hello! I sent in an application on behalf of my team back on 1/27. I saw on a recent thread that emails had been sent out to individuals who registered before 2/15, so I'm a bit concerned. Is there anything I can do to check and be sure my info was received? Thanks!