Community Announcements
Got a new Deluxe Audio Strap? Here's how to attach it.

Is there a problem with the new Deluxe Audio Headstrap hinges?

Architect

Re: Is there a problem with the new Deluxe Audio Headstrap hinges?

Hi Kranky Pantz, good seeing you here.

I did get my Deluxe Audio Strap last Friday. I do very much like the headphones built onto the Strap, they are quite good, better than some of the headphones I have at the house but not as good as my AKG Studio cans. I'm having mixed feelings about the overall comfort level of the new Strap, I personally don't find it any more comfortable than the old strap, maybe even less comfortable due to my having to have the Vive set out a little farther (side adjustment rings) to the full 2nd line away from my face to compensate for my eyeglasses. I'm still experimenting with the new strap, constantly adjusting it to try and get the sweet spot to where it will be comfortable, right now, I have to tighten it a bit too much and feel a lot of pressure on my face, but I am making progress with it. As for the desintegrating foam problem, from speaking to someone, it seems if you get one that the foam can fall apart just by rubbing it right out of the box, then you got one of the bad batches, so far mine has been holding up well, I've not sweated much with mine yet but no sign of the foam falling off or leaving itself on my skin (touch wood). I've never tried a Oculus but I've heard from many sources that it is much lighter than the Vive, this would be a welcomed thing but at te same time I preffer a lot of the features the Vive has over the Oculus (thus why I chose it).

I've been doing very little Sim Racing since getting the Vive, having fun with other VR related apps and games. But I did notice that when I do use the Vive for Sim Racing, I am faster in VR than I was with triple monitors. I seem to be able to judge the corners better, brake later and back on the throttle sooner. Smiley Happy

I've also tried Prescription lense inserts from VRsight, these were horrible, the plastic frame around the lenses is too thick (as compared to the VR Lens Lab inserts) and pinches your nose when having a smaller IPD (mine's 63.3) and it's more blurry than wearing my glasses.

I also bought some Mammut protective rubber covers for my controllers, this is very helpful in case to hit the wall of something in the heat of action. I've also tried 2 different face covers from Vr Covers which I don't personally care for. I'm still using the HTC ones, Just ordered 2 wide ones when I ordered my new Strap. I've been hanging out a lot in VR Chat lately, some of the user created "Worlds and Avatars" are simply amazing there. Smiley Happy

I hope you are getting much enjoyment from both your Vive and Oculus.

Take care

Regards: Jack

Highlighted
Architect

Oh yes, also regarding the hinges..... if you look into the Vive on either side, there is a very small screw there, this is what holds the hinges in place. They are a T4 or T5 (I can't remember) Torx screw, I made sure these two screws were nice and tight before I installed my Deluxe Audio Strap. Smiley Happy
Contributor

@CaTaPulT am I correct reading between the lines that the VR Lens Lab prescription lenses don't work with the Deluxe Audio Strap?

You said you tried a different make as well that fit differently and seemed blurry, so I'm not clear on whether you're using eyeglasses with the new Strap because the prescription lenses no longer stay in place b/c the frame doesn't lock them down anymore, or because they were damaged or unusable for some other reason, resulting in you trying a different make and now you're using eyeglasses because of that.

This would be disappointing as I find my VR Lens Lab lenses fantastic, but I really hoped for the easier on-off of the Deluxe Audio Strap, since I do development and need to jump in and out of VR frequently. Thanks!

Contributor

And @CaTaPulT, I just did a search and saw your other thread on the matter. From that I see you got the Plano lenses from VR Lens Lab, then tried a different manufacturer for the prescriptions.

So my question would be... will the Plano lenses stay in place with the Deluxe Audio Strap attached? They are identical in fitting, so that would answer my question.

(I don't wear progressives, my age-related presbyopia is JUST bad enough to make me send bug reports to certain developers who put HUD, subtitle, or other head-locked elements too close to my eyes, but it's generally not an issue. Given the low resolution of the Vive compared to real life, if presbyopia did eventually become a problem, I could ask my doctor to give me a lower prescription—just like pushing your glasses down your nose.)

Architect

Hi TreyH.
No the Deluxe Audio Strap will not affect any lens inserts. If they work well with the old head strap, they will work fine with the Deluxe Audio Strap since the strap doesn't change the inside of the Vive in any way.
Yes, the VR Lens Lab inserts I have are Plano lenses for now, I am expecting my prescription VR Lens Lab lenses any day now, I went all out with these, RABS and Blue guard coatings. These are based on my distance prescription where as the other cheaper inserts were based on my reading distance. The cheaper inserts were VERY uncomfortable since the black plastic frame around the lens was thicker than the VR Lens Lab ones thus when using a smaller IPD (mine is roughly 63) it would pinch your nose, if using a large numbered IPD, they were fine. I will do a write up on a previous msg thread I had done regarding the new prescription lenses when I get them and have had time to experiment with them to see how well I see without wearing glasses in my Vive.
Hopefully these will do the job for me since they cost me a small fortune! LOL
Contributor

Good to know. I just ordered my strap upgrade, so thanks!

I've had a lot of friends trying my Vive who wear glasses for distance vision think they can go without when using the Vive because the lenses are so close to their eyes, not realizing that it's focused to infinity, so both near- and farsightedness will effect your vision in the virtual world just like the real one. They'll say, "my vision isn't that bad, I don't need to wear them" imagining they'll be looking at something just a few inches away—and then they put the Vive on, and quickly change their minds. 😁

I've been very happy with my VR Lens Lab lenses—I got both prescription ones and Plano ones I put in before others wearing eyeglasses use it—since I've scratched both Fresnel lenses from the hinges on my eyeglasses before I got the prescription lenses. I got it with blue guard but before the RAB was available, but since I had to get high-index lenses for my prescription strength, I think it was less of an issue.

Architect

I'll be doing the same with the Plano lenses, I will put those in on the rare occasion my wife wants to try it (she also wears glasses) but when my kids come over, I'll just take my prescription inserts out and go with bare Vive lens since my kids don't wear glasses. Smiley Happy
I'm so looking forward to getting these, they were ordered June 18th and I'm still waiting on delivery, they are in Canada but once DHL hands them over to Canada Post, there's no more tracking (which sucks) so I have no idea where they are and when I'm getting them. Smiley Sad