Cable Management? What is everyone using to keep Cables off the Ground?

likenewpcs
Settler

Cable Management? What is everyone using to keep Cables off the Ground...

Wondering what everyone is using to keep the cables off the ground? Or does everyone just keep untangling them after game play? 

I purchased  3/8" Cable Flexible Tubing to cover the cable, and that seems to work pretty well.

Viveport Content

Re: Cable Management? What is everyone using to keep Cables off the Gr...

Welcome, @likenewpcs. There doesn't seem to be a 'definitive' solution right now. A lot of people figure out some sort of hook to hold the cable up, but you need to make sure there's plenty of slack otherwise the cable can still hold you back!

Stephen 'Rockjaw' Reid
- Community Wrangler

Looking for your bundled Vive/Viveport codes?
Read this FAQ!
Aguile_uk
New Arrival

There are a couple of solutions on amazon.. Search VR cable management. The one with the retractable cables seems to work ok.

Sjokkel
Builder

I created my own from parts i had laying around. Clipping the cable to your waist area lessens the load on the HMD a lot. I used part of a pulley system that is used to lift bicycles together with the belt clip. You can adjust the lenght of the cable to adjust the height the cable gets pulled of the ground. You don't want a cable in your play area.  Adjusting the weight on the pulley increases the tension on the cable. 
I have the cable adjusted to float just beneath waist level. If i crouch the cable is pulled down also by my belt clip.  Turning in to the cable just rolls it around your waist. Turning back unrolls it. I have a play area of 3x2.5 meters currently and i works great.

I have applied my leet paint skills to try and draw what i made. pulley.jpg

likenewpcs
Settler

Thats awesome thanks for sharing! 

Viveport Content

While your paint skills are indeed 'l33t', @Sjokkel, we need pics! Ingenious solution.

Stephen 'Rockjaw' Reid
- Community Wrangler

Looking for your bundled Vive/Viveport codes?
Read this FAQ!
Sjokkel
Builder

@Rockjaw

Finally had some time to make pictures. The babysit was trying out the Vive. The setup is made up out off a pulley system i had laying around. I 3d printed the 3 yellow parts but these can be easily replaced by something else. The belt clip was designed by RichWP and downloaded from http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1574006. My current room is disaster to play in but the pulley makes it alot more usefull.

1.jpgStandard Bicycle pulley system.

2.jpgClip attaching cable to pulley system4.jpgBeltclip attached to cable
5.jpgBeltclip attached to player. Cable height is still set to my lenght
6.jpgcable extends when player moves
7.jpgno more tripping over the cable

jroc2680vr
Explorer

I haven't purchased the Vive yet.  However, in my research of it, I came accross this which seeemed like it would work.  On my list of things to get once I purchase.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M6EB8DM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A25ZAA3BEH2FFI

skittulls
Explorer

Personally, I found that once I upgraded to the newer 3 in 1, cable management wasn't much of an issue. This may just be because I was used to the original flat cable that was quite a bit heavier and more awkward. If anything, I would look into a belt clip like:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1574006

bulloko
Builder

I read a few accounts of people doing 'suspended' wires and having issues hitting them as they spin around, etc....

This belt option has me intrigued though.

vVRongplanet
Settler

@Sjokkel

Nice! I rigged up something similar based on your system. While I haven't tested it extensively yet, I think it works really well! I only have about 2x2 meters to use for roomscale. Also, no more stepping on the cable when getting up from a crouched position... Smiley Tongue Thanks for sharing!

Vivek2810
Contributor

Hi likenewpcs,

Glad to hear about your solution. But has that solved the problem of user falling down ? While using the VR?
Vive Staff

@Vivek2810

There's a problem with players falling down? Are they tripping over something?

Thanks,

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support on vive.com and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

Vive Care Operating Hours: 9am to 6pm PST, M-F
Vivek2810
Contributor

@John:

Players unknowingly(While in the VR mode) move forward/ backwards or sideways and entangle themselves into Headset Cable which eventually makes them at risk. 

We have not had instances of players falling down, but cases where they have to stop playing, remove their headset and declutter the wires formed around, or needs someone to help around.

The Familiar option of Hanging the wires on top isn't aesthetically pleasing, gives a disorderly look.

Would be grateful if you can suggest a solution for this.

Thanks,
Vivek

Vive Staff

@Vivek2810

Ah, so more accurately, the problem is that players are getting tangled, not falling down.

I always recommend unwinding your cables between play sessions. That can go a long way. Of course, you could just shed cables all together and get something like TPCast or our upcoming wireless adapter.

Thanks,

-John C

"Welcome to the desert of the real."

If your base station has a Fault 02/03 error or a red light or both, the ONLY solution is to contact our support on vive.com and set up an RMA. There is no user fix for this issue.

Vive Care Operating Hours: 9am to 6pm PST, M-F